Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please tell me just one negative to crossbows >

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Old 04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

In fact, this analogy apeals to me. If traditionalists are flyfisherman, and compounds are spin fisherman, than crossbows are trollers. You still have to find the fish, and once you get one on the line you need to play it and reel it in. But trollers lack a whole series of other fishing skills - casting with precision, setting the hook...you get the idea.

Flyfisherman and spinfisherman have much more in common than the troller, don't you think?
Maybe, but there is one thing for sure...They are all FISHERMAN!

Do you think for one second that the men and women who work in the north seas on FISHING boats that use nothing but nets, string lines or trap lines are not fisherman?? This is great! I would LOVE to see you tell one of them that their not fisherman. I can just hear it now......"But dude, you don't have a pole"

That is the narrow minded view that most of you are taking with crossbows. Just because there not sitting on the side of the boat with their cane poles, bobbers and worms their not fisherman?

I am so glad you used that analogy because it goes to the way you and the other anti's think.......very narrow.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Site Bouncer

Even the states that let xbows in DO NOT CALL THEM BOWS. The are in a drifrant class just the same season. mmmmmmmmm I gess thouse states are allso roung.
Not true.

Here in Illinois they are considered bows. Only the handicapped can use them but they are still considered bows. You must buy a ARCHERY tag to hunt, the kills count as ARCHERY kills and the season is during the ARCHERY season. So don't tell me that it's not considered a bow just because the general public can't use them.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Site Bouncer

So I gess all you xbow guys will just have to STAY IN YOUR OWN STATE to hunt with a xbow.
That's a great attitude to have, way to promote huntingdidn't you say you "teach kids how to hunt".......great a whole bunch of future elitist to deal with.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Site Bouncer

I have work to do, I will check back in later.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:32 AM

BigJ12,
QUOTE:
"No I don't "just like to argue" I am trying to get some of you to understand that the differences between a crossbow and a compound bow while different are by no means worse than the differences between a compound bow and a long bow, yet it was ok to let the compound bows into the fold, why not the crossbows?"

You don't have to get me to understand the difference between bows. I know the difference between them. I never said that I agreed or disagreed with anyone on this thread. I am just irritated that when I make one post and you call it garbage. I know that you don't care but its unfortunate that my first impression of you is not pretty. Thats all.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:35 AM

Bottom line - and notice no compounders will touch it - is that compounds want their easy and don't want anyone else to have it. Compounders want to skirt the vast ammount of time and dedication needed to master a recurve or longbow by using a tricked out compound. But they don't want anyone skirting the little time it takes learning a compound by using a crossbows. Compounders want their 300 fps, their easy draw, their high letoff .......... but dammit they don't want anyone else to have any MORE speed, any MORE letoff or easier draw.

Compounders want every easy they can afford - but only their easy. They blow up and fart fire when anyone mentions a crossbow in archery season. Why ? Because it sickens them to know someone is using an "easy" bow in "their" season when they themselves use ridiculously easy to shoot bows !

LOL .... the Irony
Old 04-08-2005, 07:06 AM

Maybe, but there is one thing for sure...They are all FISHERMAN!

Do you think for one second that the men and women who work in the north seas on FISHING boats that use nothing but nets, string lines or trap lines are not fisherman?? This is great! I would LOVE to see you tell one of them that their not fisherman. I can just hear it now......"But dude, you don't have a pole"

That is the narrow minded view that most of you are taking with crossbows. Just because there not sitting on the side of the boat with their cane poles, bobbers and worms their not fisherman?

I am so glad you used that analogy because it goes to the way you and the other anti's think.......very narrow.
Thes kinds of responses from Data and BigJ show their lack of undersatnding of "the point". Of course trollers, fly and spin guys are all FISHERMEN! Just like Bowhunters, Front Stuffers, Rifle guys and even crossbow hunters are all HUNTERS!!! But like fishermen .. we are only allowed to use certain methods at certain times. Do the spin guys get upset when certain streams are made fly only? Yes. Do long liners and net riggers get upset when their season are closed and recreational guys still get to fish .. perhaps, but the fact is their seasons were set up to manage the resource .. FISH!

Nobody said Crossbow hunters were not "Hunters" .. just not "Bow Hunters". They can both be hunters .. just with different seasons and rules because they hunt with different weapons with some different challenges.

Guys .. it's done. Your points are not sounding even remotely valid any longer. Once you realize your whole point is, "there is no negative"... then it becomes a weak case. The negatives to archery are not worth the benefits to crossbows by trying to blend to different weapons.

Oh yeah .. Data, most archers would still use their bows if it was only one season. Not saying they wouldn't also hunt with a rifle from time to time .. but most archers I know would and do hunt with a bow still for parts of firearms season.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:14 AM

Bottom line - and notice no compounders will touch it - is that compounds want their easy and don't want anyone else to have it. Compounders want to skirt the vast ammount of time and dedication needed to master a recurve or longbow by using a tricked out compound. But they don't want anyone skirting the little time it takes learning a compound by using a crossbows. Compounders want their 300 fps, their easy draw, their high letoff .......... but dammit they don't want anyone else to have any MORE speed, any MORE letoff or easier draw.

Compounders want every easy they can afford - but only their easy. They blow up and fart fire when anyone mentions a crossbow in archery season. Why ? Because it sickens them to know someone is using an "easy" bow in "their" season when they themselves use ridiculously easy to shoot bows !

LOL .... the Irony
What a load of horse crap Data... You think a crossbow is a bow, which is why you feel this way. I don't think a crossbow is a bow ... which completely makes your whole point garbage. If I don't think a crossbow is a bow, then it's not about making archery easier .. it's about allowing a non-archery weapon into archery season. I see it from a totally different perspective .. and just as you feel I am stupid for not thinking a crossbow is all of a sudden a "new type of bow" .. I think you are awfully hard headed for not seeing that a crossbow is a completely different weapon from a bow!
Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 AM

Data, you have to keep in mind that the majority of bowhunters, atleast 80% of the ones I know, didn't grow up during the recurve/longbow era. Those weapons are foreign to them and dang hard to come by. I've never even see traditional equipment in any of our proshops. It isn't necessarily that they want it easier, it's the only way the know.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

hmmm ONE negative? 105 pages? i'd have to say the ONE NEGATIVE is utterly WASTED BANDWIDTH.....................................

Quick Reply: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.