Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sleeping in..... >

Sleeping in.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sleeping in.....

Old 01-20-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Sleeping in.....

I just read an article in a major hunting publication and the author was telling about being in his stand a full 2hrs before legal shooting light. You guys do that? I mean, man, I find it hard enough during the "lull" period to sit for 3-4hrs while its "light" enough to shoot, let alone 1-2 while its getting daylight. I usually get in an half hour early, how about you?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:22 PM

Default RE: Sleeping in.....

I am usually on stand at least a full hour before light... I'm usually too hyped to sleep any later than that! In fact, I have to force myself to stay in the bunk that long most of the time!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:24 PM

A lot of hunters like to stretch the truth a bit so they seem more dedicated or are better hunters than others. I don't put a lot of stock in what people say about there hunting habits in magazines or on the net. I will say that I can understand if you had patterned a deer and needed to get in it's bedding area way before he does, then maybe 2 hours is necessary. But I don't think anybody routinely does that.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll be the first to admit to not real ever paying attention to when it was legal shooting hours until this year just out of curiousity. Yes I always knew it was 1/2 hour before sun up but when is that? This year I timed it. I found that just by instincts I was right. There isn't much time before it's getting light out and you be able to get a shot off with a bow and knowing your shooting a real buck vrs. the one you passed up two days ago.

I prefer to be leaving my truck 2 hours ahead of time and being locked on to my tree with in a half an hour. I do this because many of time I'm chasing deer off as I entered the woods. It can be common to hear deer deer scatter as I leave the truck for the woods. Because of that I like to be there and let the woods settle down for awhile.

The last hunt I was on I had a real nice 8 point in the 140 range bed down 35 yrds from me. I never had a shot but was convinced after he relaxed he would get up and come by me with a nice broadside shot. Unfortunately he jumped up and bolted 40 yrds deeper in the woods because of 6 does and little ones coming into the area. He decided to be safe rather then dead. Any hunter coming in late would have never seen him. On the other hand, all rules are out during the rut. Just get in the woods when ever you can. The does makes the rules then.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I try to leave my truck for my best spot an hour and 15 minutes before legal shooting time. This puts me in my tree quiet and ready to go with 45 minutes to sit and wait. I really like this spot because its close to the truck and very predictable! As soon as the sun just starts peekin' over the treetops then the deer come thru! I park off the road and have to go straight up a huge ridge. talk about a ballbuster! I can wear a tshirt in 10 degree weather, climb the ridge and still be sweatin! Needless to say I have this spot all to myself for bowhunting! I wish I was goin' there in the morning!!!!!! Good luck
Old 01-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I almost forgot...the late season is a different story though. I get up 2.5 hours before sunrise and I usually get there by 1:00pm! Especially with 3 deer already in the freezer!!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well not having ever a chance to go hunting in a stand it would be hard for to say lol. I guess i would try to get to the stand within at least two hours or less. If i could actually get away with this without a deer able to see the light, i would bring a gameboy with me to keep me busy until legal shooting time lol
Old 01-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I hunt 1 area I have to be in my stand about 2 hrs before shooting light or I bump all the deer starting to come back from feeding.

It is TOUGH to sit in the stand ,I have fallen asleep several ( lots) times.
I have a pager that I can set to go off at a set time , I set it to go off 1/2 hr before shooting light and it is set to just vibrate not BEEP
Old 01-21-2005, 02:53 PM

It depends. I am a little uncomfortable climbing in the dark. But generally climbing or not I get there about an hour or so before daylight.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am not a morning person so I try to squeeze every bit of sleep in that I can. With that being said, I'm usually in my stand and settled with a minimum of 15 minutes before shooting light and more likely 30 minutes.

I once read an article where a guy said he had patterned a big buck but could not get into the woods without pushing the deer out no matter how early he got in there. So he set up 2 lock ons on a couple of close trees facing each other and strapped himself to the base of the stand the night before he planned on hunting. He slept on the stands and had his cell phone alarm wake him up. He arrowed the buck the following morning. May be BS, but a cool story none-the-less.