HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sleeping in.....
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Fieldmouse
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sleeping in.....

I'll be the first to admit to not real ever paying attention to when it was legal shooting hours until this year just out of curiousity. Yes I always knew it was 1/2 hour before sun up but when is that? This year I timed it. I found that just by instincts I was right. There isn't much time before it's getting light out and you be able to get a shot off with a bow and knowing your shooting a real buck vrs. the one you passed up two days ago.

I prefer to be leaving my truck 2 hours ahead of time and being locked on to my tree with in a half an hour. I do this because many of time I'm chasing deer off as I entered the woods. It can be common to hear deer deer scatter as I leave the truck for the woods. Because of that I like to be there and let the woods settle down for awhile.

The last hunt I was on I had a real nice 8 point in the 140 range bed down 35 yrds from me. I never had a shot but was convinced after he relaxed he would get up and come by me with a nice broadside shot. Unfortunately he jumped up and bolted 40 yrds deeper in the woods because of 6 does and little ones coming into the area. He decided to be safe rather then dead. Any hunter coming in late would have never seen him. On the other hand, all rules are out during the rut. Just get in the woods when ever you can. The does makes the rules then.