Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting sleeping bag

Old 01-23-2005, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Elk hunting sleeping bag

I'm looking to pick-up a sleeping bag for late-October high mountain camping is support of elk hunting. I'm talking an unheated tent. The sleeping bag needs to use synthetic insulaltion which does not lose as much warmth when wet as does goose down. Any recommendations? I'm backpacking and will be making camp around 11,500', just below treeline in SW Colorado.

Can you recommend anything?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk hunting sleeping bag

Hi Alsatian:

This is the bag I use for exactly the situation you described: I also noticed the price is now 50% OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! I might have to get an extra one...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...eat&hasJS=true

I use it for pack in hunts. The bag is not very heavy, but bulky. I use a 5500 cu in pack, and have always had to lash it to the frame.

Good Luck.
CE
Old 01-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

I have and love the Wiggys Bags.

http://www.wiggys.com/
Old 01-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like Slumber Jack sleeping bags. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Alsatian, I have been using the Trekker Rectangular bag from Cabelas at a -20degree rating in the CO mountains. I went away from mummy bags awhile back, I sleep better this way. My big deal isn't the bag as much as the pad under me. I am old and crippled up, so 2- 4" foam pads allow me to sleep well. I don't pack in any more, so I can get away with this. And I found cots to be cold, too much cold air under you.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-24-2005, 07:20 AM

I've been using a North Face -20 bag for at leat 10 years now. I think I paid about $120 for it then. It has always kept me warm.

One of the guys I was hunting with this year had a fleece insert that he would put in his bag. I've got to have one of those before this years elk hunt. I looked very warm.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:05 AM

I"ll second wiggys. Just got a sleep system from them for my cold natured wife and she was extremely warm in the 0 bag. And we can put the outer bag on if needed to protect down below zero. Works when wet. ITs not the lightest but they compress well in their own stuff sacks. Walk ins to the store get a discount so if you internet them -- see if you can find someone in CO to buy it for you.

Worth the money for us.

Jeff
Old 01-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend a bag in the 4 lb range that compresses well and is rated down to 0 degrees. To achieve that you basically have 2 options that I know of. Either one of the new synthetic down synthetics such as Polarguard 3-D OR go ahead and spend the money for a down bag with a goretex type exterior shell that sheds water. The major problem with the synthetics is that they will go flat quicker than Down. MUCH QUICKER. The way to extend the life of the synthetics is not to ever leave them in a compressed state except when packing in. I hang mine in a closet most of the year, travel with them in a big "storage sack" that usually comes with them, and put them in a compression sack only when I get to the trailhead and start my pack in. When I arrive at a backpack camp, I take the bag out as soon as I have my shelter up. If aren't careful, and leave them in a stuff sack for an extended period, they will lose their loft/warmth.

On the other hand, I usually try and treat Down similar, but have never had a probem with it going flat, even when I forget and leave it in the stuff sack for extended periods. With the new, Goretex type outer shell, it should be waterproof unless you drop it in a creek. My brother has one and hasn't had a problem with moisture, although we have never used it but in a tent.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have a North Face bag, rated to -5. Whichever bag you use, remember that 99% of the time, you get what you pay for. Backpacking into the Weminuche in the fall is no time to skimp on a bag. Also, I'm glad you're leaning away from a down bag. They'll get you killed in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Cabela's Summit bag has done me well on alot of nights sleeping under the stars not in a tent. Even in the deep snow the -20 summit bag and the outfitter style bed roll has always kept me warm. I would suggest getting a bag that is just alittle bigger than what you think you need. So it won't twist you up like a pretzel during the night.

Quick Reply: Elk hunting sleeping bag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.