Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow & Arrow Speed >

Bow & Arrow Speed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow & Arrow Speed

Old 01-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow & Arrow Speed

I tested this about a year ago. The metal nocking loop took off 13 fps. rubber peep tubing took of 9. standard loop took 2 fps, tubeless peep was 5 fps.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:33 AM

Since the aluminum D loops sits behind the arrow on the string (dead center) it is about the same as adding arrow weight. Figure 1 fps for every 3 or 4 grns of added arrow weight. My aluminum ultra nock weighs 36 grns (just weighed it). So after taking into acount what the brass nock weighs that you replaced you probably lose around 10 fps maybe a bit more.

Those big peep sights with the rubber tubing to align then, figure 10 to 16 fps depending on where the peep is located and how long the tubing is. They work very well for aligning the peep, but they cost you about twice the speed sometimes and are a bit noisier because of the tubing.

I have never seen string silencers cost 15 fps. It largly depends on where they are on the string, but I don't think they would cost you that much speed if they were down by your nock. I use the the yarn puff balls and they make almost no difference. The closer the silencers are to your axles, the less speed they will cost you. And if you get them in the right spot, you may even gain a couple fps.

The thing is with a hunting rig, sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get what you want. If you want a really quiet bow, sometimes you have to sacrifice a little speed. Same thing with the peep. If you like that peep, or can't seem to get another one to work correctly then use the one with the tubing to align it. Many deer have been taken with this set up. Just remember to change the tubing often. It's a bit startling when one lets go at full draw. Sure it costs you a little speed, but at least you know the peep will be where it needs to be when you draw on a deer.

You have several questions about peeps and nocks, I was going to just give my opinions here, but I think I will do it in the respective threads you have started.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 01-04-2005, 05:20 PM

Rather Than Changing To An Aluminum Loop Or Nok Device To Help With Peep Alignment, Can My Existing String Loop Be Tied Into My String In Such A Way That It Will Align My Peep? When The Local Pro Shop Installed My String Loop They Just Tied Two Knots And That Was It. It Moves Up And Down My String Freely. Thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 09:35 AM

I thought you just had a brass nock or something, not a string loop. Whoever did your string loop did it wrong. If your loop is that loose I would suggest not shooting your bow until it is fixed. You may be running the risk of it letting loose on you. You could smack yourself in the face and or launch an arrow into oblivion when this happens.

Not too mention if the loop moves freely up and down your string how could your nocking point be right, or consistant?

Maybe I am confused as to how it is done? Is it just a loop on your string, and the arrow nock fits between the two knots? Or is there a brass or tied on nock above the arrow, and a loop under it? This isn't very comon, but some do it. Either way it shouldn't really be loose.

What is keeping your nocking point the same from shot to shot is what I am asking.

A string loop is normally tied on so it is tight on your serving, you can't just slide it up and down. You can however turn it up and down the serving to adjust the nocking point. Sort of like threads on a screw. And the way the knots are tied every time you draw the bow it tightens them, so they should always be tight. And they should be tight enough that it will align your peep. If you are using a loop you should not have to have the rubber peep aligner. You can adjust the loop and the peep so it will align right without it.

Would it be possible for you to post a pic of your set up for us? The picture I have in my head is not good, but I may be confused or something.

Paul
Old 01-05-2005, 05:56 PM

There may be several issues here so I should probably start from the beginning. I recently upgraded to a new bow and I am in the process of getting it setup. My old bow had a peep sight which used rubber tubing to help line it up correctly. However, on my new bow I would like to change to a different peep sight so I can eliminate the rubber tubing. I was informed by the local pro shop that I will have problems getting my new peep to line up correctly without the rubber tubing. They recommended that I wait until the string was broke in and/or stretched (300-500 shots) before installing my new peep. Therefore, I was considering an aluminum loop and/or some sort of nock device that would help assure proper peep alignment. That way I could go ahead and have my tubeless peep installed.

My old bow has a string loop and I love it! My preference would be to keep it. I was only considering a change because of the peep issue. Furthermore, I may have been misleading when I indicated that it moved freely up and down the string. It is snugly tied to the string and maintains a constant nock point. However, it has not been served into the string itself. With a little twisting effort back and forth, it can be moved up and down the string.

Ideally, I would like to keep my string loop but change to a tubeless peep sight. If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts regarding this issue they would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:14 PM

Kisser button with no peepsight??
I use a peep, can't remember the name, but when installed it seperates the string into thirds, and I never have a problem with peep alignment. I also use a string loop.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:04 AM

Ok, not as scary as I thought originally. Some people serve the string loop in, or tie in a nock on the top and bottom of it to keep it from moving. I don't however and have never had any problems with it. That is the cool thing about a string loop, or tied on nock, it is fairly easy to adjust the nocking point if you have to. You just turn the thing up and down your serving like a nut on a set of threads.

You don't need a peep aligner when using a string loop. Unless you have a REALLY bad string with way too many stwists in it or something. And I would suggest depending on the strings you have to shoot it a few hundred times before you even attempt to fine tune it. That doesn't mean you can't set the peep and do some shooting in the mean time. Just after a few hundred shots check to see if anything moved like the peep, nocking point, or timing of the cam.

I will tell you how I install a peep on a bow. Install the peep into the string putting it close to where you think it needs to be. Draw the bow with loop you intend to use with your release (release length makes a difference, so use yours, not someone elses). Do this with your eyes closed and draw to an anchor that is comfortable, repeatable and promotes good form. Then open your eyes. Move the peep to line up with your eye in this draw position. Don't move your head or change your anchor to find the peep! You should be able to draw the bow with your eyes closed, find your anchor point, then open your eyes and have the peep right there lined up with your eye (same level, not rotation, that comes later). Once that is set serve the peep into the string. Some serve the peep in first loosely and move the servings and the peep to adjust it. This is actually safer, but a pain if you serve it too tight and can't move it.

Now that your peep is served into the string at the proper height, draw the bow and check the rotation. If the peep is off, turn the loop in the direction of the peep opening (oppisite direction you want the peep to go). Do this until the peep rotates around correctly and is lined up. If it puts your string loop way out whack and makes it hard to ge the release on, just add or remove half a turn or something from the string to get it right again. You can do the same thing without a loop pretty much, it just takes more playing is all. You will have to do this at a shop most likely because you will need a press to do some of it. This should have been how they installed it in the first place. At least in my opinion any way.

Keep in mind, even with a string loop, if your string stretches it may effect your peep rotation. If it starts to get out of line again just have it readjusted. With the newer strings on the market you should only have to do this once. Then it should be good to go until you have to get new strings.

Also keep in mind if you add anthing to the string the like silencers or something if could also affect your peep location. So if you are going to install string silencers try and do it first.

Good luck,
Paul