Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 YOUR ARROW SPEED..  To light an ARROW, looks like to me >

YOUR ARROW SPEED.. To light an ARROW, looks like to me

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

YOUR ARROW SPEED.. To light an ARROW, looks like to me

Old 07-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default YOUR ARROW SPEED.. To light an ARROW, looks like to me

I have been looking at posts and it looks like almost everyone that says they are shooting FAST, has a setup that is LESS than the reccomened 6 grains per lbs of draw weight..

70 lbs, should be 420 grains, and I see MANY guys shooting LESS than that...

WHY, isn't that gonna ruin your bow?
Old 07-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: YOUR ARROW SPEED.. To light an ARROW, looks like to me

I have always heard 5grains per pound.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grains per pound as desired by manufacturers is for warranty purposes and is a general guideline. They can't control who buys their bows, what draw length and weight is being shot or other matters. That's why they recommend a set figure. Many are dropping the 6gr/lb minimum to 5gr/lb. That's because they make good stuff that stays together.

Now there is another chart that shows SAFE minimums based on poundage and draw length. Draw length is a big factor. Longer draw means more stored energy in the bow. Meaning that a person with a shorter draw can get away with a lighter arrow for the same poundage due to the fact that he isn't stressing the bow as much to begin with. Look up the AMO (ATA) Minimum Arrow Weight Chart to see this.

Another thing most people don't take into consideration is the weight of all the crap they have on the string. This stuff weighs X amount of grains and is just like having it on the arrow. Only difference is it's on the string for every shot. Of course it's not in the middle of the string so how do you calculate all this? You don't. You get an arrow that shoots out of your bow and quit worrying about the bow blowing up.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:52 PM

Mathews owners manual 2004 says 5 grains per inch of arrow length i think. ditto what BG said too

slayer
Old 07-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mathews owners manual 2004 says 5 grains per inch of arrow length i think. ditto what BG said too
Its 5 grains per pound not 5 grains per inch
Old 07-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK I shoot 71# and a 432 grain arrow and can still get 294 fps. I'm over 6 gpp and still can get almost 300 fps.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

61# with a 380 grain arrow is giving me 273 fps on one bow and....

67 # with a 430 grain arrow is giving me 276 fps on the other.

Oops forgot to mention that 31 inch draw......
Old 07-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

WHY, isn't that gonna ruin your bow?
eeerrrr...I can't speak for your bow, but it won't ruin mine, Just kidding, actually I shoot close to 6 grains per pound, 413 gr. for the most part, and haven't ever bothered to chrono them, but I was averaging almost 300 fps (sometimes over actually) with an arrow that was about 5.2 grains per pound with my lil' 29" draw. But I feed my bow a steady diet of heavier arrows lately, since I switched to ACC's. I think you will reduce your long term bow life feeding it a steady diet of light arrows, but I think the differences aren't as pronounced as some would like you to believe (otherwise most of the big manufacturers would not waranty their bows for 5 gr. per pound arrows).

Gordon
Old 07-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

AMO DOES NOT RECCOMEND 6 grains per pound FOR EVERYONE.It varies with poundage and draw length.

You need to go to www.bowjackson.com and check out the chart.You may be surprised at just how light some of their minimum suggestions are.

I just checked my setup on the chart and with a 385 grain hunting arrow,I am still 45 grains heavier than the MINIMUM reccomended arrow weight.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:21 PM

Here we go again IBO or AMO, 5 g.p.p. still to light for me, I like my *bow.

* and my face and arms.

Quick Reply: YOUR ARROW SPEED.. To light an ARROW, looks like to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.