Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Starting Out

Old 11-29-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Starting Out

I am going to buy a bow this offseason and get ready to Bow hunt next year, I am 5'11 190 pounds and am looking for some direction on which brand of Bow and what weight might be good to start out with.....

Thanks for any replys...........
Old 11-29-2004, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Starting Out

RG your best bet would be go to a few different bow shops and shoot a few different models and then pick the 1 that you feel the most comfortable with, you have plenty of time to pick a bow and to get it set up to your liking but the biggest thing is practice practice and more practice ,
Old 12-01-2004, 05:14 PM

Thanks.....
Old 12-01-2004, 08:52 PM

this is true. the best bet for a new bow is your local bow shop they can set you up with a bow that will fit you perfectly.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:22 AM

I'd also add that you should spend some time with friends and their bows. You could shoot their bow, get their impressions and probably handle the bow a lot more than at the pro shop. (Pro shop is till a great start)

That is what sold me on the Parker last week. I shot a freinds several tims at our club and really like how it drew, held in my hand, and so on.

You also might have friends with different brands of bows.

Good luck

Greg
Old 12-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Key is find a good pro shop and take your time in there checking out and SHOOTING different bows. It can be intimidating at first but just take your time! Ya' don't need a bunch of extra stuff either just start with the basics. I bought a buch of crap that I never needed because the salesman said its cool or a great product. Not to bright of me! Its kinda fun shopping for a new bow! Then shoot, shoot, shoot!!!! Have fun! Good luck huntin'
Old 12-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do some good research before you go looking. Make sure you know your drawlength. Use the wingspan method to get it right. One thing about a compound bow. If the drawlength isn't righ then the rest of the bow doesn't matter. To figure drawlength measure your wingspan. Divide this by 2.5 and you should be close. You should be right around 28" to 28.5". Oh, and by the way, most bows are slightly longer than what they are marked so begin your search with a 28 incher.

OK, now the weight. No matter what you can draw comfortably you don't need much more than 60lbs. That's enough for anything on this continent---anything. Heavier can be nice, but you are trying to learn what to buy, and then how to use it. It's much better to shoot 60lbs accurately than more inaccurately. By shooting less weight you will be able to handle the bow better, learning how to perfect shooting form without struggling with the bow. You'll also be able to shoot longer and more often developing the right muscle memory to do the job on auto-pilot when you decide to go hunting.

Here again, 60lbs might be too much. Most bows are adjustable down 10lbs from their maxed out weight, which is what is marked on the bow. You don't need to buy an expensive bow. Mid range is fine, or whatever your pocketbook says. Buy better accessories, as they can move to the next bow when the time comes you would get a new bow.

OK, that's enough for now. Go to some local shops and look at bows. It's gotta feel good in your hand or put it back on the rack. Shoot a lot of them before buying. Compare each against the other. The reason to buy from a pro-shop is that you'll get better help and service along with it. The only people who should be buying from the K-Marts are guys who know what they are doing. And we don't go there because we know what kind of junk they carry.