Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 experimenting with deer food >

experimenting with deer food

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

experimenting with deer food

Old 11-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default experimenting with deer food

I have the opportunity to feed a few deer that come near our house where I can watch them from the window. The kids actually gave me a funny idea. They asked what would deer eat other than the corn I got out there? Anyone got some ideas that I can experiment with just for fun and to amuse the kids (and myself). I usually just put some cracked corn out there. Tonight I put some marshmallows out there and so far one doe came in and was really intrigued. She walked around the small pile of corn with marshmallows on top and was giving it the old head bob, like when you get picked off in a tree. She wouldn't go in and eat though. She ate a few apples that we throw there when they fall off our apple tree. Anyone got some ideas that I could experiment with. You don't think this would be harmful to the deer do you? Of course I wouldn't try feeding them a big mac or something. Wouldn't want a lawsuit on my hand from some PETA person indicating that I caused a deer to become obese or something!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:15 PM

Default RE: experimenting with deer food

My part of Texas has loads of pecan trees and they will go to town on them. I have put a bale of alphalfa (where's the spell checker?) out and it was consumed over a week or so. I figure they will put away just about anything that grows naturally and is a staple food for them at various times and various locations around our wounderful country. Wheat, oats, milo and corn can't hurt but they don't make a living eating any one of these. We have corn feeders and there are times of the year that you would pay money just to see a deer come to the feeder and eat corn.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just some ideas from Michigan. Corn, Carrots, Beats, Cabbage, Pumpkins. All of these have worked and pumpkins are fun to watch the deer at... And for your kids
Old 11-09-2004, 07:38 PM

Thought of some more items....

Flowers of just about any kind
Young fruit trees
anything you plant in a garden

Its kind of funny, there has been a large population growth in my area and homes are popping up in places where we used to go parking. The old ranchers die and the kids sell off the land to developers who doze off acres of country side to build "Trophy Homes". The misses busts her hump to get the landscape work done and then they bit*h about wildlife entering their yard and eating the plants! LMAO!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:10 PM

try some Buck-Nola or another deer feed that u can find locally. corn can actually cause a few problems for deer when fed alone. purina makes a Deer Chow...good stuff with benefits to animal. try a apple block...the solid type.

lemond
Old 11-10-2004, 04:24 AM

They love to dig up my tulip bulbs around the house. What about bread? The kids might get a kick out of that. Maybe a P&J sandwich. They could make them and see who's gets eaten first.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

No go on the marshmallows. They ate up the corn, but not the marshmallows, or the peanut butter granola bar. Will try some bread next.