Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer food

Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 AM

Default deer food

Hello guys and gals I am rather new to hunting this is my first year in fact.I just want to know all that I can about the deer that I so much love the taste of. But any ways what food do deer eat I know about corn and acorns but what else. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM

Default RE: deer food

Deer are a lot like goats. I'm not saying that just anything is preferred, but they can eat about anything. If something sweet is poured over a stump and they like it, they will eat bark. Through the spring and summer deer eat just about anything growing as browse. Corn is great, but not preferred in the hotter months. It is an "energy" food for them when the weather gets colder. Basically, deer will eat anything depending on the time of year.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Spike

It also depends on where you are, but they will usually eat whatever is a part of the local agriculture (i.e. corn, alfalfa, soybeans, sugar beats, turnips, cloveretc.). I know in our foodplot this year they really tore it up with the canola (aka rape) especially late in the fall, but didn't touch much else we had.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:10 PM

The area that I hut is down near an river and there ane lots of vallys, sage brush,buck brush , and trees so how do I find good places near some type of food that will bring in the deer.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Deer really like the Brassicas,Rape and Turnips that we plant in our food plots,they also love clover,alfala,and sugar beets,cow peas,winter wheat,winter peas and honeysuckle plants.I have heard of several people planting pumpkins and the Deerbust them open with their feet and eat them,we are going to try a patch of pumpkins in our fall food plot this coming year of 2009 to see how well they like them?I've seen Deer eating leaves off over-hanging branches and the pea's and green beans in my Wife's garden! [&:]
Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer will absolutely eat a very varied diet. Briars, honeysuckle, mushrooms, varied leaves, ag crops, etc.