Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Noise spooking deer? >

Noise spooking deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Noise spooking deer?

Old 11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Noise spooking deer?

I have always tried to be really quiet getting in and out of my stand but it doesn't seem to matter. The other night I had a carbineer swing into a metal foot peg and made a loud metal clank. I saw three bucks that night and one of them was huge. A week ago I took my release off which is about 8" of velcro and 30 sec later a buck walked right under my stand. I read in a magazine how this one outfitter won't let you hunt unless you can pass a test on how quiet you can get in and out of the tree. He says even a small sound will spook big bucks. Well last year I used a summit for the first time and made a ton of noise, that night I saw the biggest buck I've ever seen.

Whats your opinion on this?
Old 11-09-2004, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Noise spooking deer?

I think silence is nonsence unless there is a stalk going on. I make an effort to me quite but if I make a clank or snap from time to time I don't get bent over it. One noise might not blow the whole deal but repeated sounds surely will. I have made noise on purpose just to see what kind of responce a deer will have. Like clicking my release on and off a few times. Some of the time there will be no responce and other times just an ear rotation. If the deer seemed skittish they just might take off. I certainly don't think a noise will sour the whole day.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I think its about being at the right place at the right time. I try to be as quiet as possible but sometimes it dont go as planned. I just try to get settled as Quick as possible.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:21 PM

I think it depends on human pressure and predators. Some deer are relaxed and others are nervous and jumpy. I have experienced both but thr old/smart bucks seem to hear everything. The more the pressure-the more alerted they become.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it depends on the kind of noise you make. A few years back I was using a baker climber tree stand and I was coming down the tree after an evening hunt only to see the buck I was hunting come running to me when he heard the noise I was making. I guess to him the noise of the stand cutting into the tree sounded like another buck making a rub on a tree and was invading his territory. My bow was already on the ground and when I saw the buck come running I tried to pull my bow back up the tree only to get busted...end of hunt!!!! I would have to think if I had been clanging metal together he probably would have went the other way and I would have never seen him.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Depends where you are hunting.Of course in the burbs deer get use to all kinds of human noise. One thing I found out since I waddle with 2 canes I soundmore like a animal. two canes two legs make 4 feet noise like a animal
Old 11-10-2004, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with the hunting pressure idea. I also had a basket rack below the stand one morning and was changing the ringer on my phone to vibrate instead of a ring tone. My wife had called and I forgot the vibrate was not on. The buck did not stop eating leaves and look at me. He did not look up when I was whispering either. Very little hunting pressure area though. Same spot I have talked to a jake turkey and had him gobble at my voice as well. These animals see little human pressure to equate with noises and danger together. IMO
Old 11-10-2004, 10:34 AM

This past Saturday I hunted in the afternoon and it was quite windy. Iclimbed into a stand that is in a pine thicket. I was making all kinds of noise climbing in(the bark on the pine tree). I was on stand maybe 5 minutes when this 9 pt. came in behind me 15 yds away and stuck around for another 15 minutes browsing. I stood up and closed the seat on the stand which made this horrible sqeaking sound and he never even looked up. I was amazed! Maybe he thought it was the trees squeaking. Go figure. Couldn't shoot him because I don't have a doe yet!