Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer anatomy

Old 10-21-2004, 01:03 PM

Default deer anatomy

Been bow hunting for 18 years now and botched a shot the other night (my second so far). Feeling pretty discouraged -- The next morning, I tracked the deer (doe) for about 1/4 mile before the trail ended (very little blood). She never laid down and wasn't found in any nearby cover. The shot was high, above the shoulder (and rib cage), and passed through. No damage to the arrow and little blood on the arrow. I now think it was probably a flesh wound through the upper back muscle and don't think it was lethal (at least I hope it wasn't).

Anyone had a similar shot that was lethal?

down and out in SD.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: deer anatomy

Praire Buck,

First, welcome to the forums. I can recall many years ago a similiar shot on a buck. It was high on the shoulder, in front of the lungs. I let this particular buck lie for 2 hours and I jumped him. He didn't seem the least bit stiff or injured. I saw that buck again later in the season. He didn't seem to be having any problems. Deer, and most animals are hearty critters and can take alot. Look how many get hit by cars amoungst other things and live. I shot a buck yrs back that was hit by a car, he was walking on his hind leg which was locked so that he was walking on the top of his hoove down. His major femur bone was sticking out at his "knee" and healed over. He was a nice buck but I was still glad to take him out. He hangs above my computer as I type. He wasn't my biggest buck but I wanted to honor him as the hearty whitetail he was.

I know it leaves a pit in the stomach, but there are such things as nonlethal hits when it comes to arrows. One reason I personally feel that a sharp broadheaded arrow is more human that a bullet. One often reads storys of animals taken with calcified broadheads in them so keep your head up, you might just get a second chance on her.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:42 PM

Thanks for relating your experience Rob. I've followed the forum for several months now and am very impressed by the quality of the forum and the integrity of [most of] the bowhunters who use it.

I agree with the advice on sharp broadheads -- for this very reason. Just hope she heals up quickly [and forgives my mulligan]. I know most of us deal with these kind of events the same way --- with the utmost respect that is due our quarry.

good luck this season!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

One other one that just came to mind when I was reading your post again. A friend of mine took a mature doe with his muzzleloader. When processing the meat they found a green platic vane in her shoulder meat. Only the good Lord knows how long it was in there but there was no sign of injury other than the green plastic arrow vane.

And I recall reading an article in Bowhunter Magazine about a guy who took a world class elk. The article started with him hitting one the year prior. The following year he shot this elk and in processing he found his broadhead from the previous year not 2 inches from his lethal hit......

Enjoy the forum and have a great remaining season.