Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

small cabin

Old 10-10-2004, 02:52 PM

Default small cabin

I am thinking of building a small cabin on my hunting property after the season. I know it is early to think about, but I am one of those guys that can't get things off his mind untill I know what I want to do. I want something small and simple. No lights or water. I just want something that will hold two cots, a small wood stove, and all of my hunting supplies. I've seen tents that fit what I want. Mainly the Cabela's Alaknak, but I want to make one of wood. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has made their own hunting shack/cabin
Old 10-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: small cabin

Me and my papa did. Right in our field that we hunt out of. THe deer walk right in front of it eating and don't pay any attention to it. It didn't take them any time getting use to it. If you cut a shooting hole out of it you could hunt out of it lOL They would never knew what hit them. WE an't got no stove in it yet tho. We are going to use it for our trapping and hunting stuff. Hang cut and skin the animals we catch. What surprises me is that that stuff doesn't spook the deer any!

Trapper_Hunter
Old 10-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

I made a decent shack on my property last year. I made it so 2 could sleep comfortable, but have had 3 by adding a cot. Mine is 16'x20' with 2 windows. Basic wood construction(2x4 framing), 3/4" plywood flooring and t-111 siding. R-19 insulation, and put in a ventless propane wall mount heater that sure keeps it toasty down to -45 last year.I used steel for roofing and sheetrock on inside. Was gonna use a wood stove, but the heater was only $85, so I figured it was worth it. Use a 100# cylinder that will last 2 most of the season that I use it. The total cost for the cabin was under $1200, but would be more now since wood prices have gone up. For sleeping, I put 2 fold down bunks that fold up when not in use so you gain the space in the daytime. You could design and price this out yourself very easily. I went to home depot and use their "project estimator", gave the design, and it prints out the materials and price for the cabin. Taz
Old 10-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Depending on cost/budget and time allowance...you could consider the cabins by Cabelas...or consider one of the larger storage sheds that you could put on the property and modify...or simply build one from scatch...couldn't be that hard could it?
Old 10-11-2004, 11:14 AM

I built mine based on the plans from this site: http://www.townandcountryplans.com/ they are kind of basic but give you ideas.
I based mine off the Mackenzie. I have alot of other pics. It is solar powered and has a rain water collection system. Built it at home in sections and brought it down and put together. Upstairs is bunk areas. Added the room addition this year with another bedroom, living room, indoor shower and closet.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to [link]http://www.handyhome.com/[/link] and click on timber buildings. That is what we put up 2 years ago. Not real big but is sounds like what you are looking for. We ordered it from Menards and it comes packed up ready to assemble. Not too difficult. Give it a look and see what you think. Here it the picture from their website.

Old 10-11-2004, 03:22 PM

Both of those were really nice. Timbercreek, your cabin is unreal. I think that might be a little beyond my skill. I am pretty good with a hammer, but I don't think I could install solar power, even if I could afford it. wihunter, your cabin is beautiful, but seems a little more fancy than I need. You guys have definitely given me some great ideas. It is pretty amazing what hunters can come up with. I'm thinking about a 14x14 or a 16x16 simple wood floor and frame. I am thinking about something along the lines of this, but made out of wood.

http://a1460.g.akamai.net/f/1460/133...005884hz03.jpg