Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Long drought...Short hunt!! >

Long drought...Short hunt!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long drought...Short hunt!!

Old 10-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Long drought...Short hunt!!

It has been a while since I have a taken a deer with my bow, a little over three years in fact. There have been a few close encounters, have passed several deer and some misses during that time period. The drought finally came to an end yesterday afternoon, on one of the shortest hunts I have ever been on. It was raining steady all day long until about 2 yours before sundown. I decided to go hunt, figuring they would start moving since the rain subcided for a little bit. I was in a hurry and not really well prepared, so I decided to just sit on the ground just beneath a tree that had brush around it. I have seen deer in this area before, they cross the fence where I was sitting to go to an alfalfa field. I just barely got set down and I look up, here comes a doe right for me. She crosses the fence about 80 yds. down the fence line and heads directly towards me at pretty fast pace. I came to full draw as soon as she crossed the fence, remember I was on the ground with a little brush in front of me and that's it. So, she came 20 yds. from me and stopped quartering to me a little. I put the pin on her and let her fly. The shot was less than ideal, but I still got 1 lung and liver. She went 80 yards and expired. It feels good to be back in the game. That was the first deer I have shot off the ground with my bow, so it was a different experience but I enjoyed it. I took pics with a new camera so I may not get them developed until the end of season or when it is all used up. When I get them developed I will be sure to post. Thanks for listening to my rambling.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:47 PM
New Sheriff

Default RE: Long drought...Short hunt!!

Congrats.....

I guess it really was MILLERTIME!
Old 10-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Long drought...Short hunt!!

Good for you, Congrats!!!!!