Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BH209 & Small Pistol/Small Rifle Primers >

BH209 & Small Pistol/Small Rifle Primers

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 & Small Pistol/Small Rifle Primers

Old 08-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default BH209 & Small Pistol/Small Rifle Primers

No guys, I haven't bought any Blackhorn. But I thought I would explore this issue "just in case" some fallsoff the shelfif I ever come across it.

Here's my e-mail to CCI.

I use CCI standard small pistol primers in a .25 ACP case for ignition in my in-line muzzle loader, and it works very well.

I want to try the new muzzle loading powder, Blackhorn 209, but the manufacturer says it normally requires a 209 primer for reliable
ignition. So, I'm going to give it a try with CCI small pistol magnum primers in the ACP cases. I've been told that the only difference
between the small pistol magnum and small rifle magnum is the thickness of the cup - not the amount of priming compound. Don't know if that's
true.

My question is, are CCI small rifle magnum primers "hotter" than the small pistol magnum primers (i.e. a longer flame duration and/or a
higher flame temperature)? And, if so, is there any reason I can't use the rifle primer in this application?
And here's the CCI response.

Rifle primers will give-off more gas and flame than Pistol. That said, we do not have tested data, so you're on your own.

Small Pistol Mag and Small Rifle Mag differences are many, to include different priming mix in the Rifle....

Old 08-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BH209 & Small Pistol/Small Rifle Primers

Its been tried they hang fire, the only one I have heard of working beside a 209 is a large rifle Magnum. Lee
Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

SEMI

I normally use Small rifle (CCI-400's) primers in my 25 ACP carts for the Omega... but Just finished loading up some Small Rifle Mag primers (CCI 450's)and do plan on trying that with Blackhorn - just for drill. My goal is to chrono both shooting 110 grains and a 260 grain bullet.

Even if they work I do forsee myself making the switch anytime soon. T7 works very well for me without all the problems others talk about, besides the fact I have a large supply of T7.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah Sabotloader, the CCI-400's work just fine for me with T7, Pyrodex, and GOEX. I don't see a switch coming anytime soon for me either. Now, if BH gets some competition from Hodgdon and the price gets morereasonable -----
Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

SEMI

I really think you will see the price of BH come down a bit in the future or at least the price of the two products come closer together. I am still able to get T7 around here for $22 for 12 oz on the regular retail shelf and at times pick it up on sale for $18 - then there is always Wal-Mart if you get it at the right time of the year.

I did see someone posted they had found a source for $25.++ for 10 oz BH-209. I have three bottles so I really did not pay attention. It is really a good powder but cost per shot is still something I look at. One of the reason I gave shooting centerfires was because I could shoot ML's cheaper and as much as I like to shoot $$are important to me.

The one shooting session I did have with BH - I did find that it is a lot more particular about sabot fit and breech plug blow back. Most shots fired directly but they were missing velocity until I got a relativley tight tight fit in my White. I know how... a progressive burning powder works but I can not explain it well enough to make sense... but for it to be efficient you must meet it's demands.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Progressive burning as I understand it. The speed of the burning rate increases as the pressure increases, as compared to black powder which is a low explosive and has a consistent rate of burn. Lee
Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

LEE

I knew you would be able to explain it so that I could understand it - thank you... That really puts a big explanationin a nutshell...