Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Extreme close encounter >

Extreme close encounter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Extreme close encounter

Old 10-07-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Extreme close encounter

Yesterday I arrived at my friend's and prepared myself for an evening of hunting. We both have our treestands behind his house, but he was doing a phone interview so I was hitting the woods about 30 minutes before him. I walked down through his back yard and his dog followed me along his electric fence as usual. As I step onto the trail leading into the woods I notice a doe no more then 5 yds to my left, sound asleep. Since my stand is only 50 yds into the woods I don't walk down with my release on or an arrow nocked. I freeze and try to quietly get my release out of my bag. At this point my friend's dog notices the doe laying there and begins barking. The doe wakes up, but still has no idea I'm there. I get my release strapped on and slowly start nocking an arrow. My friend's dog is barking more aggressively now. Obviously annoyed, the doe stands up, still clueless I'm ready to stick it with an arrow. Just as I nock the arrow and clip my release to the loop, the doe turns and begins walking into the woods. I wasn't about to shoot it in the butt so I quietly stalked behind it. Unfortunately it walked into a neighbor's field who isn't real friendly when it comes to the whole trespassing idea. So there went my doe...and needless to say I don't like my friend's dog at the moment.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Extreme close encounter

That's a neat story and a lesson learned. I always wear my release into my stands if it's daylight. I've learned long ago that you never know....I stalk my stand as if I know there is a deer standing there cause in the past, there has been.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK that's it I am buying a whisker biscuit and I will start wearing my release to the stand. Good Luck and maybe yer buddy should tie his dog up or something.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's amazing how they can come out on top so often, even when they have no clue!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:51 PM

Sorry to hear that...had that happen to me when I was turkey hunting...needless to say a couple more steps and the dog would've been done in...LOL J/k! But needless to say after that encounter I had the neighbor chain his dog up for fear of the dog getting shot at.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:52 PM

Has anyone seen Mr. Murphy.

That's hunting though. I often waer my release but never nock an arrow. If the deer wil give me time to shoot he'll give me time to nock an arrow too. Just wait and see. That dog may cause you to arrow a good buck because you haven't tagged out yet.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I alway's wear my release into the woods as well just for that reason ,you never know when or where your gonna run into a deer and you don't want to get caught with your pant's down .but it's a long season and I'm sure you;ll have plenty of opertunities that will help you forget this one .Good luck

nubo