Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

close encounter

Old 10-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default close encounter

The other day got down a bit early from the stand to see if there were any deer out in this one field. I sat along this corn bordering it but didnt see anything when I got there. With 10 mintues two does did come out werent close enough to shoot at. They left with 5 mintues I was just about to leave happen to look down the field maybe 60 yards there was other doe. To far out to shoot I just sat there and watch she didnt know I was there till got within 30 yards of me. She kept looking at me walking closer and closer. She probably got within 10 yards of did alittle stomping of the foot. This whole thing went on for a good half hour. I couldnt draw back my bow at all she had a good eye on me. It was just about dark out she finally went on. I dont think every been that close to a live deer in the wild.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: close encounter

Yeah, I have had a few times like that. Just amazing to be that close, heart racing and you can't move or they'll spook!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 PM

i had a close one 3 years ago.
just outside san antonio, in a Pop Up Blind.
i guess i put the pop up blind up in the dark.. right on a trail.
i heart a Grunting for 10 minutes behind me, i was thinking it was a hog.
then i heard something running up behind me.. i stuck my head out of the Blind window and looked behind me.
a Doe came SLIDING TO A STOP.. not even 1 yard from me. (3 feet)
she slid to a stop and changed directions... i was so amazed and what just happened that it took a few second to notice the BIG BUCK right behind her, GRUNTING with his nose up her butt. By the time i noticed him, and was Stunned and what i was seeing... i didnt even have time to get the gun up and he had followed her directly into the brush.

this was the Biggest buck i have ever seen on that place.
didnt get to count points, but he was at least 8 or 10.
very high rack and at least 19" wide.
i have not seen 1 this big out there since, and never saw him again that season.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:43 PM

man, my spelling is bad every time i post here.