Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My big buck got stuck last night >

My big buck got stuck last night

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My big buck got stuck last night

Old 10-06-2004, 10:04 AM

Default My big buck got stuck last night

I own 200 acres, that are devoted to deer hunting. I have several large food plots. I also have some soy beans and two alfalfa fields. All summer, i have been watching a big buck. Easily 140 class. Last night, my neighbor shot him. It should not bother me. But it does. I work hard all year keeping things up. He has never helped me one bit. And he puts his stands up all over our property line. Every year he benefits from my hard work. And never even bothers to give me a hand. I know for a fact he shot that deer while it was on my land. I was watching him. I just went over and admired the deer. I figure their is no reason to start a feud. It just honks me off. Sorry for the long post, I needed to vent a little.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My big buck got stuck last night

I hope at least you have a management plan set up with him. I know we do with neighbors. We have an eight point minimum and witnessed a neighbor shooting a four point on our land. Needless to say, he no longer has permission to come on the land what-so-ever. If he need to retrieve one, he needs permission.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:16 AM

I hope at least you have a management plan set up with him.
He is of the mentality, if it's brown it's down. We have gotten into it before, because he would shoot spikes. He never shoots a doe, only bucks. Regardless of the size. I know he has every right to do so. I just wish he would work with me on this. When I started this five years ago, a 100" buck was huge around here. By working with other hunters around here, things are really starting to change. But when someone shoots any buck that walks by, it makes it hard.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:23 AM

I got some guys that like to put their stands right on my property lines too.

Pigs.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:23 AM

It wouldn't be considered a "Pen" if the is a high fence on just 1 side.

I can certainly feel your pain. I haven't had you situation arise but I did plant a couple of small food plots this year (less then an acre total) so I know what kind of money, time, energy, and sweat go into them. Have you ever asked the guy for a hand or seen if he was interested in land management. Possibly he feels out of place coming over to help.(I don't know the situation)
If you want to keep deer from crossing the line my best suggestion is to give him about 15 feet of chain link fence on the entire property line. It'll probably start the feude you'd like to avoid but it'll also slow down the migration of deer off your property to his.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

That really sucks that he shot it on your land. I have an agreement with our neighbors that NO bullets or arrows cross property lines on the way to the target. I have had a few issues with one but I think that has all been worked out now. I have no way of knowing if they follow the rule when I am not there but then they have no way of knowing if I do either. Maybe just talk to him sometime about shooting over the property lines. Good luck with it.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:25 AM

My neighboe is similar, there's not much you can do. Grin and bare I guess.[&:]
Old 10-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what I was thinking - If I had 200 acres and put my heart and soul into it and my neighbor chose not to listen to QDM practices and was hunting my land, that neighbor would be fenced out along that property line. Furthermore, I'd probably leave hair clippings in little vials all along that property line to keep the deer from going near it during season. Call me a JackA@@ if you want but its your land and your hard work - not his.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

If he really shot it on your land that's ashame. But to label a free ranging deer "My big buck" is setting yourself up for disappointment.
I'm sure other deer that don't use your plots most of the year will venture through your land, especially once the rut hits. The big one you shoot might be someone elses self proclaimed Big buck.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Furthermore, I'd probably leave hair clippings in little vials all along that property line to keep the deer from going near it during season.
Isn't that a bit extreme?

I know what you're feeling longrifle, the guy that own property along by back piece of property has a real problem with me, and I have no idea why. Never did anything to irratate each other. I really hate that type of relationship with neighboring property owners. You kind of have to walk on eggshells sometimes not to start a fued with the neighbors, but if you're willing to put up with them so be it. I'd probably just talk with him and ask him not to hunt on the property and not shoot at anything that is. Can't tell him what to do on his own even if he is putting up stands along the line, just as long as he is shooting at game on his side.

Do you guys who are suggesting a fence have any idea of the costs of something like that? It's not as simply as you think. In some areas, you even have to have a permit to put one up.

Quick Reply: My big buck got stuck last night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.