Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how to bring buck into the woods...? >

how to bring buck into the woods...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to bring buck into the woods...?

Old 10-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how to bring buck into the woods...?

Millertime10, I had that exact thought, and when I was about to do it I had remembered that I read somewhere that if you do a call when they are too close they are able to pin-point the location TOO WELL and will know it's come from high up (your tree). Is this not true?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:36 PM

I agree BSCO. When I am using a call, after I can see the deer, I dont do more than one call every 5 minutes or so at the max. The reason I do it like that is so they wont see me. If they are interested in your position it is more likely for them to see or smell you because they are interested in that area. I normally just use a call to stop a deer to get off a shot once they are in sight range. I am not a seasoned bow hunter though. 90% of my experience is with a rifle. I finally felt comfortable enough with a bow this year and I wont turn back to a rifle now! Makes the game that much more fun and a longer season I will admit though, I prefer ground hunting and stalking. Not only get them in, but stalking the prey is a rush!
Stryker777
Old 10-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why couldn't you cut a shooting lane? It sounds like the deer was within range.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Why couldn't you cut a shooting lane? It sounds like the deer was within range.
this is real nasty stuff... it would take a lot of work and would make quite a disturbance. Plus the only area where I wouldn't have to clear whole frickin' TREES out of the way is right where my deer paths come into my section of the woods are. Here's an update. I went down yesterday and checked the spot where he had paused. It's probable that the first spot he stopped in after I turned him was too small of a trail for him (there was a vine hanging too low) and that he was on his way to a much taller trail that he could have come through!!!!!

doh!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@]

Live and learn I gues... [>:]

Just goes to show you to know every detail of the place your hunting. I'm trying a scent trail and hanging the piece of cotton from a twig that should give me a broadside shot if he comes in.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:40 PM

Millertime10, I had that exact thought, and when I was about to do it I had remembered that I read somewhere that if you do a call when they are too close they are able to pin-point the location TOO WELL and will know it's come from high up (your tree). Is this not true?
Be careful if you try this. IMO it's best to wait until the deer starts to loose intrest before letting out another call. If he's close and looking for you and you call he'll pinpoint you in an instance. If you wait until he starts off again and he's not looking at you you'll have a butter chance of getting him to come in.

Just curious , What type of can were you using? At this time of year an immature buck gunt should be the most effective call for bucks. It's not a lot of help with doe(doe call is best for doe this time of year IMO) though. Personally I like the bow grunter. It's hands free and the call actually points out behind you so it'll be harder for a deer to pin point you.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

I was using the great big can "for long range calling."

I'm not even sure if that's what brought him. I just know it stopped him and turned him around. I would maybe have done my buck grunt but I left it up in another stand

I really want to get one of those hands-free calls...
Old 10-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats hunting..........good luck
Old 10-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Get on all fours and look easy ?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:41 PM

dont worrk about draglines and doe calls...forget them until late october...if you really want to get his attention, use a grunt call. challange him. try some light sparring wiht a rattle bag or antlers..and then seal the deal with soem buck urine...get him riled up...make a mock scrape where he will be in bow range and douse it in buck urine...when he smells that he's going to go hay wire...should have a good shot on him then..but overall, he shoudl respond well to grunting..deer are curiouis animals by nature..and as i said earlier, forget about the can and doe calls until the rut...right now, bucks are interested in does yet...ifyou use estrous or doe calls now, you just might spook him from that spot...

i woudlnt worry about the trail being too low either...big bucks will fit in small areas, and if he feels safe on that trail, he'll keep using if theres a vine or no vine.

slayer