Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck sign

Old 10-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default Buck sign

I was doing some scouting a few days ago and noticed a large number of rubs and scrapes. I normally don't see this many until toward the middle to end of October, I am hunting in MN. Seems very early for the number I've seen! Also, I shot a nice doe yesterday morning. She only went about 40 yds before crashing. No trailing needed!
Old 10-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck sign

Yes, Yelper,

I too have seen alot as of the last few days. No complaints here gives you more time to hunt the big ones.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:39 PM

hey guys iam down in iowa and i havent seen much of anything at all, no deer, no signs nothing at all. it is only my second year bow hunting but i know what to look for and i aint finding it. WHERE ARE THEY?
Old 10-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Solo,
You should be at least finding rubs, even if they are from a few weeks ago. Being south of us just keep scouting they will be showing up. The scrapes here dont mean to much for another two weeks. Then its on, be patient.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I walked almost 6 miles this weekend and all I found was 2 rubs and one scrape. One of the rubs is on the exact tree that the 8 pt i shot last year was up against when I found him. weird.

I'd say about a week from now the sign should be showing up in full force.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:54 PM

yea i took a little walk after school and found a three which is a 3 more then i saw last week so there coming. load and draw boys!!
Old 10-04-2004, 06:29 PM

I've been finding alot of rubs, and a few scrapes mainly on field edges or around fields. none in teh middle of the woods yet. I dont expect to see the same amount as i do in Iowa, where i counted 100 in a 1 mile strecth of creekbed. i was finding rubs in late august in iowa, and quite a few at taht. i havent gotten over lately, but i suspect theres 10 times as many rubs there than here because of sheer numbers. i think the herd here is a little more balanced in this county..congrats yelper on the doe..i also havent see this many scarpes in early october in this county..maybe i just didnt look as hard as i do now..

again, congrats on the doe yelper..

slayer
Old 10-04-2004, 06:43 PM

deerslayer i aint to far from you i live in new albin, iowa right on the mn border i mean right on it. where were you looking for rubs and scrapes in iowa?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:51 PM

we got 640 acres of the finest whitetail ground in teh country...1/4 is on the clayton county side and the rest is on teh allamakee side...were hoping to had 180 acres to that in teh future...Right outside of Marquette/McGregor...we live in Prairiie du Chien WI, so our land is just across the river..i know where new albin is at, been there a time or two...i really wish iowa was a much better kept secret, we have too many problems getting tags because we can't get any landowner preference and they charge up the wazoo...then again, i'ld pay 500 dollars a year to hunt iowa for whitetail..we jsut have so many huge bucks running on our land its nuts..

slayer