Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why do I even bring a bow in the woods??!!! >

Why do I even bring a bow in the woods??!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do I even bring a bow in the woods??!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Why do I even bring a bow in the woods??!!!

I just missed the biggest buck I have ever seen in my life!!! He is a 12 point perfectly symetrical typical. Missed him at 20 yards. I watched him coming for about 150 yards, by the time he got to me I was shaking so bad my arrow was rattling against my rest!!!!! I have been hunting for about 10 years and I have never been that excited/nervous. I honestly cant even remember aiming, and judging by where my arrow went i am sure i didnt. I have off work the next few days so maybe I will get another shot at him....I feel so sick right now....
Old 11-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default RE: Why do I even bring a bow in the woods??!!!

Stick with it man, I've missed deer and then got cracks at them later that day or even a few days from the original miss. Deer are stupid this time of year and you got to take advantage of them. Try not to focus too much on the rack, once you see he is legal or a shooter, than just focus on his body and make the shot. Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:00 PM

The more experience you have at having big deer close to youthe easier it becomes to focus. Like what was said above don't focus on the rack, once you make up your mind up it's a shooter don't look at the rackagain. I like to start thinking about where I'm going to take the shot, my release of the arrow, etc.... You almost have to blockhowbighe iscompletely out of your mind and become a machine. Remember to take deep breaths and I often will look straight down and get myself calmed down before I look athim again if you have thetimeand focus on getting ready for the shot. Being relaxed is 85% of taking a big deer. Good luck I hope you get another crack at him.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:18 PM

Stay with it man, I killed a buck once that had been shot 2 days before by my friend in the hindquarter. He came back to the same stand and even saw me drop an arrow from the tree!! He came even closer after that AND I Wacked em. Stupid deer, or blind deer I guess. Go back and if you didn't spook him he may come back. did he realize what happened?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing is going to help the sick feeling right now because I missed a monster 8 yesterday and I'm still sick.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the one thing to take from all this is to quit counting points on the antlers, and thinking about havingthat trophy on the wall, andconcentrate on that tiny spot you want to hit. You can count points after your holding the antlers
Old 11-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

WOW man oh well it happens to use all. but just remember focus on the spot u want 2 hit. then just b calm about it witch i no is hard.

but my buddy let his G/F shoot at a big 9 pt. she hit n n the lost blood 1 day later he shot him. so yea u stick it out and he might just walk in!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:07 PM

That rush is why we play the game! Better luck next time bud.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I watched him coming for about 150 yards, by the time he got to me I was shaking so bad my arrow was rattling against my rest!!!!! I have been hunting for about 10 years and I have never been that excited/nervous.
That's why!!!!! Nothing like it in the whole world. Good luck getting him. Remember, you a monster in range once, you'll be able to make it happen again.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes you perform best when you don't have any time to prepare. All the deer I've seen this year I've had at least 15 seconds and/or 20 yards of warning and I freaked outand lost focus on all of them. This passed weekend, I waswasn't anywherenear paying attention 'cause I'd just climbed the tree when two deer came chasing eachother out of nowhere. The first one went flying passed me andI stood up thinking there might be another one coming. Not 3 seconds later he came running the same way. I timed his running with my shooting lane and "mehhhed" him before he got into it. Just so happens I timed it right and he stopped. As soon as he turned his head to look at me, the arrow was already on its way. This all happened in about 5 seconds.

When the deer went down I realized my heart wasn't thumping. Of course then the thumping started.

Quick Reply: Why do I even bring a bow in the woods??!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.