Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do these sights work? >

How do these sights work?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do these sights work?

Old 09-25-2004, 05:57 PM

Default How do these sights work?

I saw a guy shooting a one pin adjustable sight. You guess the yardage and move the sight accordingly. How do those work? Are the yardage grooves spaced evenly IE 20-90 yards are .5 mm apart, or are 20-30 .5 mm, 31-41 1 mm, 42-52 1.5 mm, etc? Wouldn't the arrow eventually lose enough speed at 90 yards causing the sight to be inaccurate? Please explain this to me, and DON'T say anything good about them, I want to keep my wallet in my pocket!
Old 09-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How do these sights work?

The ones I have seen and I use one is you sight your bow and mark the distance (20yd, 30yd, ect) on the sight window with a piece of tape and move the slider to a distance you marked on the tape.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: mdbohuntr

The ones I have seen and I use one is you sight your bow and mark the distance (20yd, 30yd, ect) on the sight window with a piece of tape and move the slider to a distance you marked on the tape.

That's exactly what I do. I have a Cobra Easy Slide Extreme. I put a small strip of adhesive backed label paper on the back of the rest. I sight in at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80 yards and mark a line at the pointer when sighted at the intended range. Of course the lines get farther apart as I get up past 60yds but you can move back and forth shooting at different ranges. Using my rangefinder I get the distance move the knob and bam! Works every time. When hunting I have it set at my 20yd mark and rarely move it. But when I target practice I shoot at all ranges. Also, if my intended target is say 45yds then I put the pointer in-between 40 and 50, it works like a charm. The sight is very bright and durable. I recommend it to anyone. I like it that I center my peep on the bright housing and lay the pin on the target dealing with only 1 pin, it's a great sight. I'll never go back to multiple pin setups.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use an HHA single pin adjustable. Mine had a white strip on the slide adjustment where you could mark your yardages. I rarely moved it from 25 yards except for target practice. I recently switched back to a multi pin sight though. I didn't like having to tinker with the sight under hunting situations. Figured it'd be best for me to keep it simple. No need to adjust anything if my target changes distance.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

On my Toxonic sight that I use for competion there is a scale. Once I sight it in, there is a pin that I can set on the scale...ie at 20 yards I can set the pin to 20 on the scale. I can then, click it or adjust the sight pin down by turning the knob that moves the sight down until I'm dialed in for 30 yards. On the scale the pin will now read 23 but you first have to site in to realize the 23 is dead on at 30 yards. ....I know that....for 40 yards, it'll read 27 because when sited in, 27 is dead on for 40 yards and for 50 yards it'll read 31.....when I'm at a competition shoot I know if the target is 40 yards to dial in the sight for 27....for 35 yards, I half the 4 marks from 27 to 23 which is 25....and so on. It allow you pin point accuracy to have a pin for exact yardages instead of holding high or low for in between shots.

The scale is only there for you to determine what number coincides with what yardage....you can set the pin on the scale at any number....instead of 20 and so on it could be 10 or 0 for 20 and then 3 more for 30 and 40 for forty and 4 more for 50 or 10, 13, 17, and 21.

The scale is only there for you to correspond a number to the yardage and not set in increments of yardages until you site it in and find what number corresponds for what yardage....some guys will remove the scale and mark 20, 30, 40 and so on...and maybe in between yardages. I use the scale and either mark down what number or simply remember.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:11 AM

i use an HHA single pin sight, i put a mark at 25 yards and the thing will shoot flat out to 28 or so. then i have one more at 35. dont shoot any farther than that. i dont think i have any stands that i can shoot farther than 30 yards from.

slayer
Old 09-28-2004, 02:05 AM

i just bought the HHA lo-5500. the one pin, rheostat adj. for pin intensity. just shoot it in at whatever distances you want, and mark the label to coincide with your preferences. i will NEVER go back to a multi-pin sight again. your field of view, and ability to pin point your target area is so... much easier. i shoot ten times as accurate at 40-50 yards than i did before.