Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Single pin sights...How well do they work. >

Single pin sights...How well do they work.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Single pin sights...How well do they work.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Spike

Default Single pin sights...How well do they work.

I'm in the market for a new sight, and the salesman at the sporting goods shop recommended the TRUGLO Range Rover.

Anyone have experience with this sight?

I've never used this style sight and was wondering what the pros and cons of a single pin sight were? And how good are they in a hunting situation? If I get it, I'll be putting it on a bow shooting about 259 fps. Are these sight noisy because of all the moving parts?

Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 PM

Default RE: Single pin sights...How well do they work.

They work well and shouldn't be noisy. I have used several of them from 30-100 dollars and didn't have any noise issues with them. They work better for target shooting like 3-D and longer distance stuff since you can get more range out of them than a regular 3 or 4 pin sight.

The down fall is they are only one pin and you really don't have time to adjust them when hunting. So you better be able to hold over and judge your yardarge well, or be ok with limited range. I feel if you want to shoot over 25 yards a multiple pin sight is much more simple. There is also the issue with having the sight set to the wrong distance and missing your target. I have done it a few times while target shooting. I will be shooting at 60 or 70 yards and then shoot again later at 20. The problem is I forgot to check the sight to see where it was set and shot about 4 feet over my target[].

I solved the issue by using a 3 pin sight on a movable sight frame. Now I zero the frame at 20 yards and can shoot 20,30 and 40 without moving it. when I want to shoot farther I can adjust the sight.

Paul
Old 06-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never used the Tru Glo but I have used the Impact Archery Cosmic which is pretty similar to the sight your looking at, and as for hunting ,it's all the sight you need .Most hunting situation's don't call for any more than a 30yrd shot ,and if you have it set properly all you'll have to do is drop the pin where you want and shoot .Anything further you may need to compensate a bit ,but a single pin is all you really need for hunting .

nubo
Old 06-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Fork Horn

get this sight my last three bows have had this sight or one like it but not the same brand. I love it and won't change to anthing else.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the tru glo glo brite sight, love it. one pin is all i need. for 3D I adjust, for hunting I leave it at 25 and hold a lil over at 30 or a lil under at 20.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

I have the tru glo glo brite sight, love it. one pin is all i need. for 3D I adjust, for hunting I leave it at 25 and hold a lil over at 30 or a lil under at 20.
Exactly. For hunting, one pin is great. Sight in at 25 and you're good from 10 to 30 yards.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:09 PM

The new King Cobra 1 looks like a nice single pin up site. It has an integrated mount for your arrow quiver. I would like to check out how it works VS. the other brands.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Spike

A respected Bowhunter years ago told me to get a round pin guard and one pin- sight it in for roughly 23 yards- If the critter is closer aim on or a hair low- if its close to 30 aim a hair high like a BB gun as a kid- It was some of the best advice I ever received. I shoot the Copper john with one pin fixed right in the middle- it makes shooting fun.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

1 pin elimanates the possability of putting the wrong pin on target at the moment of truth. With todays bows you only need 1 pin IMO. You can hold that 1 pin somewhere on the deers body from backline to briscit line to compensate for distance out to 30+ yards. I personaly use the HMM Slider and have yet had to slide the sight. I'm good out to 30 yrds without sliding the sight and my bow shoots 265 fps which is slow by most people's comparisons. It just eleminates any confusionduring the exictment of the shot.