HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do these sights work?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How do these sights work?

On my Toxonic sight that I use for competion there is a scale. Once I sight it in, there is a pin that I can set on the scale...ie at 20 yards I can set the pin to 20 on the scale. I can then, click it or adjust the sight pin down by turning the knob that moves the sight down until I'm dialed in for 30 yards. On the scale the pin will now read 23 but you first have to site in to realize the 23 is dead on at 30 yards. ....I know that....for 40 yards, it'll read 27 because when sited in, 27 is dead on for 40 yards and for 50 yards it'll read 31.....when I'm at a competition shoot I know if the target is 40 yards to dial in the sight for 27....for 35 yards, I half the 4 marks from 27 to 23 which is 25....and so on. It allow you pin point accuracy to have a pin for exact yardages instead of holding high or low for in between shots.

The scale is only there for you to determine what number coincides with what yardage....you can set the pin on the scale at any number....instead of 20 and so on it could be 10 or 0 for 20 and then 3 more for 30 and 40 for forty and 4 more for 50 or 10, 13, 17, and 21.

The scale is only there for you to correspond a number to the yardage and not set in increments of yardages until you site it in and find what number corresponds for what yardage....some guys will remove the scale and mark 20, 30, 40 and so on...and maybe in between yardages. I use the scale and either mark down what number or simply remember.