Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Martin's  "sex sells ads" >

Martin's "sex sells ads"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Martin's "sex sells ads"

Old 09-26-2004, 04:33 PM

Default RE: Martin's "sex sells ads"

Well partial nudity is getting pretty close.
Partial nudity? You've got to be kidding me! She's wearing a shirt and a pair of pants for God's sake! I see worse everyday at the highschool I attend! Have you been to ANY outdoor shoot before? You see women in less clothing than this. Short shorts and tank tops being the worst of it all.

You're reaching, you're really reaching now.

I hate that people keep using young kids as their excuse to bash another company. You do realize that your kids see worse on billboards in town than they do in these adds right? Driving down the road you don't tell your children to look away or cover their eyes everytime there is a woman on a billboard wearing less than a parka and ski-bibs do you? Do you make them go in the other room when you and your significant other watch TV? They're sure as hell going to see worse on there.

You can't hide the truth from your kids forever, especially if they attend public school. They're going to turn into social retards with parents that over protective.

Give it a rest.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yes Mathews has had some negative ad campaigns but they have never stooped as LOW as to have a chick with high beams(which I do not mind for myself) but I think sends the wrong message to youngsters.
I get it now.........maybe Martin should put a chick with "low beams" in their ads.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Because they're too busy trying to prove one's superiority over the other on paper by calling names, etc. Pictures of Hoyt bows and Hoyt specs in Mathews adds, pictures of Mathews bows in Hoyt adds. That's low if you ask me. That's poor marketing if you ask me.
Actually, in the May/ June 2004 issue of Bowhunt America on page 17 there is a Martin ad. They do compare Martin bows to others. They say, "Many other manufactures risers are made using a process called extrusion. A piece of metal is made in the shape of a riser and then is cut into smaller pieces to form individual risers to cut costs.

Risers that are extruded can have as much as 1/4"deviation from the inaccuracy of the of the extrusion process".

Then they show a picture of a couple of risers. The captions are, "Other manufacturers use extrusions", and, "Extruded risers can vary as much as 1/4"."

That is comparing their bow to others.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I like that ad. No complaints here.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:45 PM

Actually, in the May/ June 2004 issue of Bowhunt America on page 17 there is a Martin ad. They do compare Martin bows to others. They say, "Many other manufactures risers are made using a process called extrusion. A piece of metal is made in the shape of a riser and then is cut into smaller pieces to form individual risers to cut costs.

Risers that are extruded can have as much as 1/4"deviation from the inaccuracy of the of the extrusion process".

Then they show a picture of a couple of risers. The captions are, "Other manufacturers use extrusions", and, "Extruded risers can vary as much as 1/4"."

That is comparing their bow to others.
That's very true Zak, I've seen that add in a few differen't magazines, but look at what is said in that add and then look at what is said in a Mathews/Hoyt add. Does Martin point the finger at one specific company and say "Ours is better than (Insert Manufacturer Here) because we say so"? No, they say "This is how we make our risers, this is why ours may be better than others, and this is why you should look into purchasing a Martin bow."

Mathews and Hoyt like to point the finger at one another show show facts that may or may not be true about the other company. It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if they didn't put the other companies bows in their adds, but they do, and I dislike it. It reminds me of two little kids on a playground calling each other names.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:34 PM

I wish they hadn't done these kinds of ads. Not because I'm afraid for kids, as they will see worse, and not becuase its bad marketing, but mostly becuase it seems cheap to me. I first saw an ad like this several months ago...My reaction wasn't anger or lust...I just thought it was a stupid way to advertise archery equipment, for no other reason than that it seemed out of place and a little lacking in taste. I just thought it didn't go, and that it wasn't perhaps the best way to sell. It it my opinion that sex really doesn't sell quite as well as we think anymore, and as a mass communication/marketing student, I suspect we will see sex selling less and less as people grow bored with it as a marketing tool.. The truth is that sex is a good thing in tasteful context, but it is cheapened by making everyone feel that they find their self worth in sex or what they look like. Martin has no more worth to me now than it did before the ad, though I'm sure they have good equipment
Old 09-26-2004, 08:49 PM

Washington Hunter...

Yes kids are exposed to sex everyday on T.V, Music and other advertising but does that make it "OK" for Martin to do it? Why take the sport down to the LOW level of everything else these days.

IT has NO place here.

How does this type of advertising help the sport of archery?? Forget about the Hoyt or Mathews negative campaigns(those are not the issue that was raised) and it isn't what my argument is about.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:53 PM

Forget about the Hoyt or Mathews negative campaigns(those are not the issue that was raised) and it isn't what my argument is about.
I raised the Mathews/Hoyt issue because I feel that that is much worse than what Martin is doing. Do you realize how many people know about Martin Archery because of those adds? Look how many hits this thread alone has because it has the word "sex" in it. You see what this type of advertising does for the sport? The woman isn't what is selling the bow (fully clothed or buck naked), it's drawing the curiosity of the consumer.

I think I'm about done arguing about it though, we're going around in circles and you're having to reach farther and farther for arguments and it's just getting boring now.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:11 PM

I agree it is getting boring as well...
Old 09-27-2004, 04:54 AM

No arguments here. I like the add. Purdy girl with a nice bow.

Quick Reply: Martin's "sex sells ads"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.