Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 excersize preperation for hunting season? >

excersize preperation for hunting season?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

excersize preperation for hunting season?

Old 09-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: excersize preperation for hunting season?

I dont need to work out....................i am already a stud! No, but i like to walk and drag stuff around becuase anybody can shoot an animal, look at T-bone on monster bucks he is a fat boy and he kills em on a regular basis, now dragging one out on your own is a whole other story! The better shape your in the better, some people are outta shape and get offended by this topic and say "nah, how does being in shape help?" Us in shape fellas know the benefits.............
Old 09-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

I gotta tell ya TurkeyFan,a while back I was hunting the Shawnee downstate where my bro lives,and killed a large doe,He had to help me drag this critter across a creek twice and up a 35 deg inlcine for about 1/4 mile or more to the truck. We are both in pretty good shape, and I'm a bit larger then the average man and we had a hellava time.If I didn't excersize some throughout the years and wasn't in decent shape,and didn't have my bro help,I may have had to quarter that critterI actually had an idea though if he wasn't around to help.I carry parrachute cord in my paqck and a tree saw I would have cut down some 1-2"dia trees, and built a game drag and lashed verything together.I know that area up there in Wisconsin is a lot like the Shawnee.Bill D>
Old 09-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go for a elk hunt in the mountains and then tell me being in shape does not help a hunter.
I stated that if I went elk hunting then pysical conditioning would play a major role. However, in my kind of hunting (treestand whitetail) it plays absoutely none. IMO

Your buddy that has a big pot belly and is a great hunter when he is sitting in the hospital with a heart by pass on the menue and is no longer able to hunt
Actually, I have read a couple of studies lately that say that being overwight has very little to do cardiovasular disease, blood pressure, etc. The study citing that some people can be overweight and still be physically fit. Just, because someone has a pot belly doesn't mean they arent' fit. Also, just because someone doesn't jog doesn't mean they aren't fit. I think we have all known people that didn't "work out" that could walk or work "in shape" people into the ground. Also, my grandfather lived to be 92. He smoked and ate fired pork chops and eggs and sausage and would eat the fat from everyone at the tables steak and at 80 he could work most 20 year olds to death. So don't you think that maybe that's a generalization and not really a hard and fast rule and therefore has little merit in this conversation?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:13 PM

Not have Merit in the conversation. Wow take a good look at what you just wrote if you wan't to talk about Merit.

Grandfather took in ten times the amount of fat tha he should.
Smoked cigarettes
Never worked out
And could work circles around half the fit twenty year olds

Silent do you think that is the norm, or maybe just a statement that has no merit.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:25 PM

Again Silent Assassin, it makes for a stronger marriage.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silent do you think that is the norm, or maybe just a statement that has no merit.
I sincerely doubt it is the norm. However, the statement was made as a rebutal to the generalization that you made that because the guy that I mentioned had a pot belly that he was going to have a heart by pass. It's sterotyping at it's finest. I was not making generalizations but rather offering anecdotal evidence to discredit your generalization. However, I will galdly admit that you are correct and apologize for arguing to the contrary if you would like to provide some statistical evidence corrorborating your theory that every middle aged man that has a pot belly or doesn't work out, is going to have a heart bypass.

I am a fitness director and I am sure you don't want to here me rant and rave about the many ways being in good physical shape can help you be a better hunter.
Also, I am still interested in exactly how the gentleman that I mentioned earlier, who has understanding of whitetail deer and how to hunt them that defies reason and logic, is going to benefit by jogging a couple of times a week.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:42 PM

Being over weight: Increases ones risk of developing coditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, stroke,gall blader disease,cancer of the prostate and colan.

What excercise can do for you:
1. Improve blood circulation:
Hunting benefit: Able to sit longer in cold weather with out having to come down because of cold.

2. Improve vision and hearing
Hunting benefit: Be able to extend shooting time because of better eye sight in low light situations
Able to hear better and not be suprised by approaching animals

3.Improve decision making ability.
Able to estimate range of animal more precisely
Make better decisions on shot choice and timing.

4. Improve sexual performance
Wife happier so you are then allowed to spend more time in the woods. In return spending more time learning about deer. <<<{ Week but true}

5. Improved flexibility
Able to make shots in odd positions such as behind a tree or awkward stance.

6. Excercisers feel sick almost 30% less than non excercisers
Allows more days in the woods and not in bed sick

7. Excercise increases concentration capability
Allowing you to make better shots

" Every Archer would benefit from strength training and Archery Strong is a excellent program that will improve your shooting performance.
" Loyd Brown U.S. Olympic Archery Coach 1996&2000

Inactive people are 2x more likely to develop coronary heart disease.
"James M Hagberg" [University of Maryland]