Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Soil Preperation

Old 02-04-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Soil Preperation

What do you guys reccommend for soil prepartion. I am planting in April/May. Should I use a product such as Round-Up to clear the existing vegetaion? And would you reccommend tilling the ground a few times before planting? Any tips on how to prepare my plot before planting would be appreciated. Thanks again!!!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Soil Preperation

What crop are you considering planting?

Dan O.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:01 PM

My extension agent explained to me that this is THE toughest time to control weeds here in Virginia. They get started growing in the spring and just take off. Kinda like an athlete on steroids. Be sure to spray at least twice to kill all of the new growth if you plow. It may take a couple of weeks for the seeds you disturb to begin growing.

I was told to wait until the first cutting of hay was harvested before I begin my alfalfa food plot. This will take place during the hottest and driest part of the summer, and the grass will be stressed during this period making it easier to kill. Also, I am going to use a no-till seed drill. It is more precise, doesn't disturb the existing root system of the dead plants, doesn't stir-up new seeds, and is faster and less expensive. What more could you ask for? It is available for rent at the local extension for a nominal fee.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

B-TechRapture -

Its hard to be specific without knowing alot more information. But Generally for a first time plot in an area : I would use roundup in May when things are getting good and green. Then I personally would plow, disk, spread the recommended lime/fertilizer, Disk again, Pick alot of rocks, Plant - then cultipack for most plantings.

If I'm planting a Roundup ready plot like Corn or Soybeans - I would skip the pre-plow application.

Post back what you've decided to plant - and we can be a little more specific.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 PM

I plan on planting Plot Spikes Shade Blend. My area is about 1/4 acre in size and is located in a clearing in the forest surrouded by decent cover. This area receives 4-6 hours, minimal, sunlight per day. I have to wait for the ground to un-freeze before I can do a pH test, but the soil is pretty moist and seems fertile. I plan to rake the entire site, spray with Round-Up, wait 1-2 weeks and reapply Round-Up and plow the area for the first time. I then plan to spread lime and fertilizar as neccessary, re-plow and then broadcast my seed. I only have access to a medium sized tiller and ordinary garden tools (shovel, rake etc.). How does my plan for plot preperation sound? Any thing you guys would do different with my available tools? I am also worried about how to actually plant the seed. Should I broadcast and rake, or do I need to do more to ensure my plots success? Thanks for all the helpfull feedback!! Hopefully in a few months I can post some pictures of my successfull, lush food plot.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:00 PM

Be sure that you spray the plot AFTER you till it; otherwise, you will be stirring-up fresh new seeds that will smother your food plot.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would work it and let it sit then when that second thrush of weeds come up disc it again and plant it. I dont have a lot of faith in extension people, remember this they are not afarmer, maybe a book farmer and I rmember the old adage those of us that can do, the ones that cant teach. Believe me they have some value, but they are not the farmers.....those are the guys to listen to... (the farmers)
Old 02-09-2005, 11:18 AM

I don't know about the extension agents in your neck of the woods, but around here they are all farmers;as well as, teachers. They can and do.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

My apologies , around here they work for the colleges.....
Old 02-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

crig and ron are right.

what is the point in spraying roundup, and then plowing/disking/tilling the soil? when you work the soil, you are going to kill the existing vegetation and bring new seeds to the germination zone. there is no sense in spraying it if you're just going to plow it under. and the when you plow/disk you're just going to have new seeds to deal with. seeds can live for many years.

till or do whatever you want to with the soil, let the weeds come up, then spray, then plant.