Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Over hunting a stand? >

Over hunting a stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Over hunting a stand?

Old 08-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Over hunting a stand?

I was wondering what your definition of overhunting a stand is? Also if you are going to hunt a stand only a couple of times is it better to hunt it say 3 days in a row and leave it be for 2or3 weeks, or hunt it once a week for 3 weeks? What precautions do you take to make sure you don't ruin a stand?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Over hunting a stand?

In my opinion this is a Generalized theory and applies differently and specifically to each setup.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of that depends on the stand. I try not to hunt a stand more than twice a week but I will occaisionally hunt one 3 times in a week. If you have a stand that has exceptional entry and exit routes then you can get by with hunting it a little more often. If you have a stand that very little potential for deer travel on the down wind side of the stand you can by with hunting it a little more often. For example, if you had a stand on a river bank. Let's say you could sneek in and out to the stand down the bank of the river and everytime that you hunted it, the wind was blowing your scent across the river. So you weren't buring the area up with scent during your entry and exit and you had very little scent collection. Then you could get by hunting a stand a little more often. However, 2-3 times a week is a good standard to use.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me over hunting a stand would be
-getting busted by deer frequently, either hear,sight,smell
I would only hunt a hot spot if the wind is right, if u hunt a favorite spot and u dont care which way the wind is blowing, then u are just overhunting it.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

TONS of factors determine when a stand becomes over hunted.
your scent control
wind direction
frequency of deer traveling past the stand
entrance and exit routes
deer populations
human intrusion frequency
Deer that you are targeting(mature bucks vs any deer that walks by)

And I'm sure there are more that I forgot.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a stand that I have hunted for 10 evenings straight last year and saw deer every night ,but that stand was at the edge of a cut wheat feild and the wind was blowing to the feild .If I hunt a stand that I have to walk through the woods or the wind will carry my scent in to a beding /travel or feeding area I only hunt it 1 -2 morning or evening a week.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:08 PM

Like the others said, there are quite a few variables. But, as a general rule for me, I like to hunt a stand with at least 2 days between hunting, and no more than 3 days a week. Hunting a stand once a week is best, but sometimes there just aren't enough different places to hunt to rotate that much. And sometimes you just feel like there's a certain tree you have to be in depending on weather, time of year, etc. If it's a spot you can be sure you're getting in and out without being detected, you can get away with hunting there a little more.

peashooter
Old 08-11-2004, 09:39 PM

thenuge15,

I've also wondered this as well. Do you hunt public or private land? If you hunt public, how large is the parcel? I've been in public areas that many hunters seem to use the same tree or trees within a tight area. God only knows if the other guys practice scent control etc... as well as you. The deer still keep traveling through the area so I don't know if they tolerate a certain amount of human scent or what? Maybe the tearline is that the big boys won't wander through? Good points made above regarding limiting sign of your presense...

good luck,

MD Piney
Old 08-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

I think the time of year would play a big factor because during the rut there are so many wanderers that you could probably get by with more days in the stand.IMO.