Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Meat Hunter.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default Meat Hunter.

Last night I finished reading my NRA American Hunter magazine. It has an article on Meat vs Trophy hunting. After reading it, I'm proud to say that I'm a Meat Hunter! I'm proud of the Does that I shoot, and usually take a nice plump Doe first thing in the season for the freezer. I then use another tag for a Nice Buck. Haven't gotten a wall hanger yet but if I can harvest a Doe or two...the Season was a Success! And I won't get discouraged by not getting a Monster Buck.

The term Meat Hunter sometimes has a negative meaning, like shooting an animal under illegal circumstances just to get the meat. Thats not a meat hunter, thats a poacher, same as the guy that shoots a deer with a huge rack after dark by spotlighting. Read the article in the American Hunter and be proud to be a Meat Hunter.

Yep, I'm a Meat Hunter and Proud of it!
Old 06-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Meat Hunter.

well around here i guess i dont have a choice to whether im a meat hunter or a trophy hunter. i dont hunt a big plot of woods so there arent too many trophy deer where i hunt. so i guess that means im a meat hunter but its ok, the thrill is still awesome and i still get excited when i shoot a deer.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

i dont hunt a big plot of woods so there arent too many trophy deer where i hunt
I wouldn't be so quick to be discouraged. You would be very surprised where you will find some great bucks. I bet there are a whole lot more around you than you believe there are.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love hunting and I love cooking....And I really love cooking venison. As a result I usually "target" at least one animal that will be excellent table fare...and that usually does NOT mean a older big buck. Although I've killed my share of larger animals, and I know full well how to make even a tough old buck more palatable, it cannot be denied that a younger animal-all other things being equal- will taste better and be more tender than an older animal. The 1.5 to 2.5 yr old Does I put in the freezerare good eating. The larger buck still taste good, just not as good.
I'm a deer hunter. and they just happen to be made of meat.....really good meat.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

buckeye,

i didnt explain what i mean, sorry. i am sure that there a trophy bucks in the woods i hunt, it is just not where they are consistantly bedding and eating. just where they happen to wonder every once in a while. chances of seeing them are rare but the chance is there. hope that cleared things up??
Old 06-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love that article , the best is the pic of the old man dragging out the monster from the mountains! Reminds me of the first day of rifle here in PA draggin my deer out of the tall pines in the north mountains! Great article!
Old 06-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I am a Deer hunter, we are all deer hunters, I would rather not devide us into other groups. Guys who hunt deer for meat, would rather shoot a monster buck, given the opertunity. I take plenty of does for fun and food, but hold out for the 140+ class bucks. If I get one, thats great, if I don't, thats OK too. Sometimes I have even let those pass. Hunting is a personal thing, the way we perceive hunting is different for every individual.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:22 PM

The one point in what was said is what is a pocher...if my family needed something to eat... I also know were the wiold berries are.
If were just for the kill or to sell that would darken the gray drasitcly.
But to just condem.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:25 PM

Gentlemen:
May I take this moment to remind you all that any deer taken with a bow is a trophy, be it a doe or monster buck, as long as we treat all of them with the same respect and go out of our way not to waste any of it.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

RCD! I'll read that article tommorrow, I have a copy of the Mag right here in front of me .Some do look at meat hunters in a different perspective, but we all know what you mean because I'm just like you meat in the freezer first then hunt that wall hanger ,which I haven't gotten yet either. They are on the property I hunt so hopefully soon I'll have one on my wall.

nubo

Be proud of being a hunter whether to fill the freezer orr to hang the big boy on the wall .I don't kill animal's strictly for the antler's the meat get's used as well . Some people think that trophy hunter's just take the rack's and don't care about the meat ,have they ever been informed wrong.

Quick Reply: Meat Hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.