Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sticking to Mechanicals >

Sticking to Mechanicals

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sticking to Mechanicals

Old 06-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Sticking to Mechanicals

I went out shooting today because i wanted to experiment on the best type of broadhead I should use. I have four arrows left so i put an different Bhead on each one; Fixed, 3-bladed-mechanical, 4-blade mechanical, and regular field point. I went to my usual spot where i got my first kill. Back when i was patroling the canal, i would always have to run out people swimming in that place. I wouldn't want to swim in that water because of all the chemicals, fish and bird waste floating around in it, blah. I saw an couple of people fishing out there and once guy caught this huge carp. it had to at least weight about good 15 pounds is my guess. I am surprised that is has fish that can live in the water due to the chemicals and isn't uncommon to see dead fish floating down the current in which i have seen quite a bit recently. I was driving on the south road side and was coming up near that spot where i got my first rabbit several days ago. I parked probably about 1/4 of an mile from it and went walking to that spot. That sun reflecting off the water and into my eyes was painful even with sunglasses on. I spotted about three jackrabbits and slowely stalked towards them. I was about 45 yards when one decided it wanted to run off little ways. So i figured it wouldn't hurt to try so I took an shot at one but shot too high and accidently hit large rock that was covered by some brush that they liked to hang out around; It didn't damage my arrow but it literally shattered my broadhead (the fixed blade)The one i orignally shot and one of its companions decided to un-a$$ed the area and into cover. The third one just sat there 40 yards away. I put my pin on it, and let my arrow fly; I heard the thump and it ran off about 10 feet and stopped; I knew i hit it because of the thump sound. So i approached it slowely just in case one of its buddies decided to check out what was going on but never did. When i got to the rabbit i knew it was dead; I got it just behind the shoulder. I never used mechanical heads before up to this point but after i saw the effect today, i'm sticking to them now, at least for small game. The first rabbit i got, the one that i lost but recovered. I got it with an field point, i think 150 grain but don't remember now. This one i got today was my second bow kill
Old 06-21-2004, 12:31 AM

Default RE: Sticking to Mechanicals

congrats..............
Old 06-21-2004, 04:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I cannot speak for rabbits as I have never shot one with a bow however I would suggest you check your KE figures before automatically deciding to use them on something bigger than a rabbit. They require a bit more KE to work correctly on deer sized game.

Just a thought.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the rabbit, but why not buy some judo points for small game, like rabbits, and save your broadheads for bigger game. Judo's work great on small game and make the arrows easier to find!
Old 06-21-2004, 11:20 AM

Congrats on the rabbit. Mechanicals leave quite a hole, but like they all said, do some research on your equipment as far as kenetics before using them on deer.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:34 AM

That would turn into an expensive sport shooting broadheads at rabbits etc... 3pk at $15-$25...ouch