Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Difference Between Straight and Right Helical Fletched Arrows? >

Difference Between Straight and Right Helical Fletched Arrows?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Difference Between Straight and Right Helical Fletched Arrows?

Old 06-11-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Difference Between Straight and Right Helical Fletched Arrows?

I have been shooting CX 300 arrows with a 3-degree right helical for quite some time now with excellent results. I purchased a new dozen the other day and after I cut them off to the proper length noticed that the new dozen was straight fletched rather than the 3-degree right helical that I normally shoot. Will this make any difference in my arrow flight? Also will it change how my bow shoots with broadheads?
Old 06-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difference Between Straight and Right Helical Fletched Arrows?

If the fletchings are completely straight with no offset I would think broadhead flight would be awfule. Without the vanes spinning the arrow and stabilizing the back end the arrow will go all over sort of like a knuckle ball would. If the straight fletch is slightly offset you should be alright. It will cause the arrow to spin but not as much as the helical you did shoot.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:49 PM

Were you using a 3 deg helical or a 3 deg offset???

I would guess if you are buying them they are a 3 deg offset. Most helicals are greater than 3 deg.

Either way I would not recommend straight fletch (not straight offset - thats o.k) for fixed heads.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:34 PM

Several factors come into play that will dictate best size and angle of set of feathers or vanes for a shaft being launched off a particular bow. A straight fletch will impart some spin to a shaft. The question is; is it enough spin for your setup.

Most high-energy bows launching lightweight shafts often need more and quicker-acting stabilization (feathers/vanes). Hence, 5" feather/ vanes with a helical set are often required. Feathers stabilize quicker so the same shaft might get away with a slight offset. Some setups might fly quite well with a straight fletch.

My 43" ATA "Dual Wheelie" Martin shoots heavy shafts with straight 5" fletch (feathers) with very good flight and accuracy. My "Sonic Wheel" compounds (more energy) require a 1-degree offset for best flight and accuracy.

The only way to know what setup is best for you, is to shoot your shafts using different feather/vane setup until you find the right combination.