Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats the shooting difference between straight off set or rh helical? >

whats the shooting difference between straight off set or rh helical?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats the shooting difference between straight off set or rh helical?

Old 04-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default whats the shooting difference between straight off set or rh helical?

I was just wondering if one or the other shoots better. I was about to order some gold tips and that is an option.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: whats the shooting difference between straight off set or rh helical?

Both styles spin the arrow better than just a typical straight fletch. An arrow spinning is more stable and is more preferrable for someone using exposed blade broadheads. The difference between the two really is the amount of twist in the fletchings. Think of a straight offset as almost being a helical with less twist. The helical fletching will provide more stability because it causes the arrow to spin faster however, it can also offer potential fletching clearance problems with some rests. The offset fletch still spins the arrow and provides better stability than a straight fletch but does not have as much of a fletching clearance issue in most cases.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: whats the shooting difference between straight off set or rh helical?

If I am able to achieve fletching clearance, i always go for the most helical fletch I can. It helps greatly to stabilize my broadheaads and improve accuracy in hunting situations, which is the most important factor to me. My vote goes to helical!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My vote would be for the helical as well.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:41 PM

I have to agree with the others. If I can get good vane clearance with the helical fletch I go with them. They always seem to help stabilize the arrow much better for broadheads.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:43 PM

I would definitely go with helical because of the accuracy. I also use synthetic feathers to improve broadhead forgiveness.