Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 straight offset or helical is there a difference >

straight offset or helical is there a difference

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

straight offset or helical is there a difference

Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 PM

Default straight offset or helical is there a difference

o.k I dont mean to beat a dead dog...but, is threre really a difference between a helical fletch and say a 6 degree straight offset. I know just a straight 1 degree fletching shoots ok,but it does'nt spin at all.I shot a 6degree and a 1 degree into the air with my sons little compound (Its a great idea by the way) and was floored by the difference in spin..anyway how is helical different than 6 degree offset..[>:]
Old 02-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: straight offset or helical is there a difference

Offset is usually only 2 - 4 degrees. When you get much past this you start getting into helical.

There really is no differance in the two because the fletch will wrap around the shaft when it is fletched other than perfectly straight.

The reason why they call it straight offset is because the vane or feather is not wraping enough around the shaft to use a helical clamp. A helical clamp has a wrap built into it and allows the fletch to wrap around the shaft and get 100% contact. A straight clamp would only make contact with the middle of the vane when you get past a few degrees.