Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HOURS ON STAND?????? >

HOURS ON STAND??????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HOURS ON STAND??????

Old 05-29-2004, 10:06 AM

Default RE: HOURS ON STAND??????

i am semi-retired,and off mon-thurs each week,so i log a lot of time in the stand.i have stayed on stand from 6.00am 'til 6.00pm many times since i take a day pack with me each time out.the last two years i hunted 80% of the time in my ground blind.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:25 PM

as many as i can but not nearly enough
Old 06-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets see 12hrs on saturday and 12hrs on sunday for 4 weeks thats 96hrs
a month, 4months of deer season=384hrs. Thats not counting when i take a week of vacation for the RUT!
Old 06-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Each year I spend less and less time hunting on stand. Each year I spend more and more time, shedhunting, scouting glassing and then setting up in the off season and just prior to season for bucks and the other species of big game I hunt here.

Last season 4-5 hours on stand for the first buck. 15 hours for the second buck. 2-3 hours for the bull elk. 4 hours for the turkey. Public land animals. Pictures in the gallery.

Been glassing the last 5 nights about 2.5 hours in the evenings in different locations till dark. Have found and glassed 1 dandy buck (May31st and June 1st) out of 7 in one bachelor group, he was 2 inches = past his ears on each side and hasnt started to curl in yet, his browtines are at least 6 inches long right now, he didnt have any g-2s even on those long mains.... so I am convinced hes most likely a huge (if his other tines grow like his brows in length) 4x4, and then 2 other nice bucks paired up, they are just past thier ears and heavy bodied...3.5 years old minimum......and 1 loner, good body size probably 3.5 and just past his ears with no curl to his antlers yet..., little short on the brow tines.... So 1 magnum, 3 potential shooters and 6 young bucks. Also, 2 bull elk, 1 with quality antler growth for early June, I am hoping its the big 7x7 bull elk shed I found in this area in March. I am on a mission to scout 90 days this summer. I plan on videoing and taking picutures of the bucks and bulls once they get a little more growing time, heck I will probably take the camera tonight from some of the growth I have been seeing its about time..... By mid July I will have a handful picked out to zone in on and then start setting up on them even more, taking notes, putting a game plan together and preparing stands sites for the August opener. I am in search of a knarely Nontypical..I really want to find a 200+ non.. They are out there and I have yet to find one....I am definately gonna be doing my bow shooting practice in the mornings or early afternoons. Thank God for a wife that lets me go every evening!

Archery season is gonna be awesome.

Shed
Old 06-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I average about 20 hours in a 2 week period, elk hunting of course. I have had mule deer bucks come into some elk wallows, to drink in a nearby creek. The bucks have never been big just 2 or 3 points. Shed how did your bear hunt go this spring?
Old 06-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bear hunt is open till June 30th. Last night I sat glassing a clearcut for whitetail bucks and one of the nicest black bears I have seen fed out below me between 60-100 yards, for about 30 minutes. Unfortunately the unit I was glassing in last night is closed for bear, unit 6.

I am going bear hunting again this evening, I am trying to mix this in with my whitetail scouting. I am pretty confident before June is over I will have one of the two big bears in my bowsights...I have been after. The last time I was after the two bears I have been targeting....a couple weeks ago, my brother passed up the big black one. I sat right beside him and he decided not to shoot. He said he wanted me to kill him. I am now only archery hunting them, he was rifle hunting...so I will be in there tonight...on the ground.. waiting for him to come to feed. No bait, so its a little tougher. I really want to get one of the two big fellas this way. no bait ....no dogs... off the ground..I got him pretty dialed, he should show up this weekend, I will keep ya posted... That bear I saw last night...wow it was a beautiful creature... I kicked myself for not packing my video camera, I did have a friend with me...he really liked the bear as well..

shed
Old 06-04-2004, 06:10 PM

umm...125-150 hours probably...i spent twice that probably spot and stalk or tracking or just trying to find some deer. i get kinda antsy after about 4 or 5 hours. when i hit a 4 point last year(looked for it like hell but never recovred, still feel terrible about it), i had sat about 2 hours...got home from school that day and just had one of those feelings that i HAD TO HUNT. i guess it paid off....

slayer
Old 06-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Spike

About 20.