HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HOURS ON STAND??????
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 01:34 PM
shed33
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HOURS ON STAND??????

Each year I spend less and less time hunting on stand. Each year I spend more and more time, shedhunting, scouting glassing and then setting up in the off season and just prior to season for bucks and the other species of big game I hunt here.

Last season 4-5 hours on stand for the first buck. 15 hours for the second buck. 2-3 hours for the bull elk. 4 hours for the turkey. Public land animals. Pictures in the gallery.

Been glassing the last 5 nights about 2.5 hours in the evenings in different locations till dark. Have found and glassed 1 dandy buck (May31st and June 1st) out of 7 in one bachelor group, he was 2 inches = past his ears on each side and hasnt started to curl in yet, his browtines are at least 6 inches long right now, he didnt have any g-2s even on those long mains.... so I am convinced hes most likely a huge (if his other tines grow like his brows in length) 4x4, and then 2 other nice bucks paired up, they are just past thier ears and heavy bodied...3.5 years old minimum......and 1 loner, good body size probably 3.5 and just past his ears with no curl to his antlers yet..., little short on the brow tines.... So 1 magnum, 3 potential shooters and 6 young bucks. Also, 2 bull elk, 1 with quality antler growth for early June, I am hoping its the big 7x7 bull elk shed I found in this area in March. I am on a mission to scout 90 days this summer. I plan on videoing and taking picutures of the bucks and bulls once they get a little more growing time, heck I will probably take the camera tonight from some of the growth I have been seeing its about time..... By mid July I will have a handful picked out to zone in on and then start setting up on them even more, taking notes, putting a game plan together and preparing stands sites for the August opener. I am in search of a knarely Nontypical..I really want to find a 200+ non.. They are out there and I have yet to find one....I am definately gonna be doing my bow shooting practice in the mornings or early afternoons. Thank God for a wife that lets me go every evening!

Archery season is gonna be awesome.

Shed