Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)?? >

How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

Old 12-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

So... How many hours have you been in the stand this year and still not come out with a deer? I've spent around 75 hours since October 1st. and still have yet to come out with anything (not even a doe). I've had 3 very large bucks around me but not within range. A few does but have not been able to get a shot off.

So how about you? Is there anyone doing worse than me??!

P.S. this is my 3rd year hunting with no deer.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

I am not sure how many hours I have logged up in my bowhunting adventures,but its alot.I have yet to get a deer this season,not because I never had the oppertunity but because I chose not to take the shot.Almost everytime I head out in the woods I see a deer,alot of times in range,but just not the one I want,I know there are some big ones out there and thats what im waiting for.
I am getting desperate now though,only a few weeks left[]
Old 12-18-2004, 09:41 AM

I have spent 19 days in the woods this year (bow+gun) without even SEEING a single deer.

I have seen them on other days and have killed 4 total (1 bow+3 gun) but there have been MANY days when all I saw was the empty woods all around me.

Those 19 days are scattered over 4 counties, 250 miles and at least 7-8 different forests.

But as we all know...........we have a problem with deer populations in NY. There are so many out there that we just can't keep up......no matter how many we kill.

Maybe next year our brilliant DEC will give out 10 tags per hunter []
Old 12-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

bscofield, I feel for you. I think only once or twice this year I went out without a deer with in range. If you ever make it out east next year, I'll put you on some deer.

Good luck, stick with it and start now looking for more property to hunt. When I started Bow hunting it took me 3 years to shoot one and also I hooked up with some great freinds who took me under their wing to help me out.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Over 300 hours and 3 deer
Old 12-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a funny topic!! I am very fortunate to live where deer hunting is thriving. My uncle had taken all of ohio guns season off from work to kill him a nice buck or doe. The last friday of the season i got off work at 1:00p.m and headed towards the farm. I knew my uncle tony was already down there and hunting i just didnt know exactly where. So it was 3:00p.m by the time i got there and got changed. I snuck up what we call bob-cat creek and cut across to a deer stand we had built the year before. I got settled in with my 870 remington, and 15minutes later here comes a mature doe, and ***POW!!** a mature doe was down on the ground. I finished my ohio gun season and it was my first day out the entire season, and my uncle has been hunting for 5 days straight with no luck!![] I believe its the right time at the right place.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:16 PM

I have been in my stand for about 50 hours and haven't even seen a deer!
Old 12-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

almost 100 or more with no deer
Old 12-18-2004, 03:30 PM

Funny you should ask because I keep notes in a log book for every time I go out. I have kept track of my hunting stats for over 15 years now. I love looking back through my log book and re-living some of the memories when I read my notes. Anyways I just looked and added up this year:

46 1/2 hours on stand since Oct. 16th
63 deer sightings
6 passed shots (deer within 20 yards but I chose not to shoot)
2 mature buck sightings (my son shot one of them at 16 yards)

No deer yet, have not even drawn my bow on one. This year was different for me because it was my son's first year hunting and I spent the peak of the rut at our best location attempting to put my son on a deer. He was able to take a mature buck in his first year hunting so even if I go without a deer I consider this a very succesful year!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Longest I've gone this year without seeing a deer has been 4 hours. But it has been a good year with all the mast.

Quick Reply: How many hours in the stand with no deer (this year)??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.