Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How Long Before legal shooting hours do you get to the stand? >

How Long Before legal shooting hours do you get to the stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Long Before legal shooting hours do you get to the stand?

Old 08-25-2003, 11:03 AM

Default How Long Before legal shooting hours do you get to the stand?

How long before daylight do you get to your stand? Are the times different with a Bow as opposed to a rifle? I like to shoot for 30 - 45 minuets before daylight, but it doesn' t always work out, sometimes it takes longer getting ready, and I get to the stand a lot later than I had planed.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:22 AM

Default RE: How Long Before legal shooting hours do you get to the stand?

I typically like to be in my tree w/ 30-45 minutes to spare.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to be up and settled in no later than 30 minutes to go to light....it doesn' t always work that way, but that' s my goal. 45 minutes is better, but much more than that and the wait is almost unbearable. Funny, I can sit all day in my stand but can' t hardly survive 45 minutes till the sun comes up -- just anxious I guess!
Old 08-25-2003, 11:35 AM

Are ya' ll talking 30-45 min before legal shooting time or sun rise? Here legal shooting time is 30 minutes before sun rise.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Opening day of bow season I am actually in my stand a good 2.5 to 3 hours before daylight. No kidding

Not that I really need to be there that early. That whole thing happened for a couple reasons and from a long time ago. The area that I hunt is heavily pressured and a few years back I found a " hotspot" in terms of sign, food source, location, etc... So, in order to " get the spot" I went in around 3:45 am and set up my stand.

I never did have anyone use that spot, to my knowledge, up until last year but it taught me a few things about sitting in the woods, in the dark, for an extended period of time. You really do get a feel for your surroundings. Heck, there have been a couple times since then that I could actually tell when the deer were coming simply because the insects stopped making noise. Really neat stuff.

Anyway, sorry for getting off track. On average I probably get into my stand between 45 minutes to an hour before daylight. I usually take my time to get up the tree and then get settled in.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I normally try to get there 5 minutes before shooting time. I rarely see deer early in the morning. Most of the deer I see on morning hunts are from 7:15-9:30. So I take advantage of the extra hour of sleep
Old 08-25-2003, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Pluto

Are ya' ll talking 30-45 min before legal shooting time or sun rise? Here legal shooting time is 30 minutes before sun rise.
Yeah, I was talking about getting to the stand before legal shooting time.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:18 PM

I usually get in my stand 45 minutes to an hour before shooting time.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt suburban areas. Not unusal for me to camp out in someones back yard all night. You can see some wild stuff, before light, but normally 4 am
Old 08-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No earlier than I have to. Usually I' m ready to go with only about 10 minutes until shooting light. I' m careful and quiet and have had deer under me, just minutes after I climbed the tree.

Quick Reply: How Long Before legal shooting hours do you get to the stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.