Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good. >

Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good.

Compound bows, that is.

Last season, after 24-25 years of mostly using a compound bow, I went back to a recurve.

Hunting compadre has bad shoulder. He can shoot recurves and longbows with no problem, compounds are now tearing him up. He rigged up and went back to the "stick," and I followed suit as a loyalty move.

I tuned the bow by twisting the string a mite until I got the brace I wanted, tuned the bow by moving my nocking point and adjusting my pressure button, carried the bow into the field between the tips of my fingers, hung the bow on my ear as I ascended my stands, so light I had to keep checking to make sure the bow was still in my hand, and hung the bow on a piece of protruding tree bark when resting.

I cannot say I have not enjoyed shooting compounds, but the freedom that the "stick" gives me is a highly welcomed old friend. A new custom bow will be here in short time. I feel for those that have never shot a "stick" and believe all the tales of woe they have been told by non-stick shooters.

Free at last, free at last, thank God…………..!
Old 05-11-2004, 12:45 PM

Default RE: Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good.

Congrats on your move to traditional archery. I'd do it myself if I could shoot the darn things well. May have to anyway. That may be the only way for a finger shooter to find a cure to target panic. Then if I "snap-shoot", no one will be able to tell.

Let us know how you do this fall.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:46 PM

Free at last, free at last, thank God…………..!

That's exactly what my stick said when I put down for good after 2 months of frustrations ..........
Old 05-11-2004, 12:51 PM

You thought about a WB on that stick bow ???

Just kiddin' !!

Seriously thinking about going that route in the next year or two myself !!

What bow do you have coming in ?
Old 05-11-2004, 01:04 PM

Good luck
Old 05-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I myself shoot both, but hunt with a compound. One of these years I will have to try to hunt with a traditional as well.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are freed from the bondage of technology that has shackled your bowhunting aspirartions for too long. Spread your newfound trad wings and soar on the currents of the feelings of what true archery is ! You have passed under the mountains of "easier" and "better" ... through the caverns of solocam technology where darkness prevails and yet the Ray of Light that is, was and always will be Archery has found you !

Breath deeply friend, your lungs are finally filled after being empty for so long, your blood pumps with renewed vigor, theres a glint in your eyes that were before covered in Mathews, Bowtech and Hoyt haze. Alas, I cry for you ... nay, I cry WITH you for the joyness that has befallen you. Blessed be the flight of the arrow, the plunk of the bowstring and the journey of the hunt with what bowhunting is meant to be !!!

(whew, I kinda slipped into a trance there or something ...errr, did I just type that ??)

Old 05-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well....good luck with your switch. Hope you score big this fall.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:59 PM

That is damn good, stealth.

Jepcho:

Not really a switch. My first 12 years of bowhunting was strictly with a recurve. I prefer to call my going back to a recurve, a revival. I have taken pleasure using a compound, but will definitely enjoy the freedom. I truly believe that the difficulty in mastering a "stick" is more mental for some than actual. If you say you cannot, you will not.

CBM:

Been perusing the Inet since last season. Was going for the "Palmer" bow. Some recent deaths in my family threw my interest off for awhile. If I went the "Palmer" route now, I might not have the bow until just before the season or in the season.

I found a bow builder in Southern California (Steve Quinton) that builds bows under the brand name of "Ibex." He can give me everything I was going to get with the "Palmer" bow. Been on the phone for long periods and have exchanged several emails. Steve sounds like an opportunity that came knocking at my door, and this time I was home.

Steve has semi-prepared stock and can have my bow designed for me and ready in 3 weeks. The real beauty is, regardless of materials used and personalized fitting, all his bows are $500.00, no tax, and no shipping costs, and he will repair or replace as long as he is still around or the company still exists.

He has sent me several pics of his bows. They are very nice. I am sitting here designing my bow as I write.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...9272&members=1

http://users.oc-net.com/evecat/home.htm
Old 05-11-2004, 10:52 PM

I also have made the switch from compound to recurve, to longbow...I really enjoy shooting instinctive, alot of fun...and will be going after big game this fall, Good Luck and Good Shooting...

Quick Reply: Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.