Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good. >

Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good.

Old 05-12-2004, 05:19 AM

Default RE: Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good.

That's pretty awesome C.........!!! Thanks for the info . ......I'll keep it for when I get ready !!

Good luck and shooting !!
Old 05-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awe now dammit !! Do you know how many bows I've bought/traded/sold over the past 2 years ? Several dozen or more ... and now you go and show me yet another bowyers designs that look sweet !! Good looking bows - really. I wish I could shoot one. I've been looking at buying a TD recurve with 2 sets of limbs .. one set about 50 pounds and the other around 56-57 or so. Hummingbird recurves fit me ... and (gasp) so do Black Widows except for the heft of the risers !

I don't suppose you'd ship me yours to shoot for a few days ??
Old 05-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Man.. when i read the heading I thought yo were giving up your Mathews LX.....I wanted to put my bid in Good luck w/ traditional archery...
VH
Old 05-12-2004, 11:47 AM

Stealth:

You can do it. Just get over the mental hump.

All anyone has to do is first understand that a recurve or longbow is not necessarily going back in time and or that a loin cloth is required to be properly dressed. There are various degrees of "stick" shooting. You can go completely primitive or you can simply use a different type of bow.

I am proficient with extinctive shooting a bare bow. However, as I told my bud, I am going "Trad-Mod."

My custom bow will be center shot and offset to allow a "launcher type" rest if I choose not to shoot off the widow face, It is being tapped for a stabilizer, sights, quiver holder, and pressure button. The length of the bow will be 64" or 66", and the peak-weight draw-length will be 31", not 28". The poundage will be set at 50# max.

These specs (length, draw-length, poundage) combined with the right limb composition will allow a sweet drawing bow, capable of holding at full draw without great effort. A recurve can be drawn on your quarry much later than most compounds, and can be let down easy and quietly if your sight picture momentarily leaves you.

I suspect that many shooters that try but cannot shoot well with a "stick," may have been shooting bow to short for their draw-length, were over-bowed, believed the had to shoot a bare bow, and shoot instinctively. Not true.

As for accuracy and power, I witnessed a shooter drill a deer at 40-yards with a 45-lb recurve. My first large buck (245lb-8pt), I dropped with a 40-lb, 64" American "Cheetah" glassed Maple bow at 18 paces. The bow buried a 6-bladed "Wasp" in his spine. The second shot, still at same distance, took out his heart.

A recurve is a highly proficient tool; it just does not have cams and cables.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am doing to c903, I laid down the compound for good after the 2001 season, got my first trad kill last fall (a 140-145" 11 pointer). I currently shoot an Adcock 3 piece TD longbow. I shoot off the shelf, with a variety of arrows. My bow isn't centershot. Its 64", 52# @ 28", tonkin cane limbs and bocote - a gorgeous bow and the best shooting bow I've owned I guess .... maybe the ACS I had was better but thats another story !

I meant I wish I could shoot one of those Ibex bows - they look really nice. Are you going short riser or the long riser ?
Old 05-12-2004, 12:42 PM

stealth:

I read too fast.

Also, did you say you had shot "sticks" in the past? If not, did you find the transition horribly difficult, or just a need to learn a different way to shoot a different type bow?

Going to use long riser. Like and need large window area and riser surface. I have shot a 23" riser and loved the way it held and shot.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went trad cold turkey. I practiced all summer and didn't have the confidence to take my longbow in the woods so compounds it was for one more season. In 2002 I used a longbow but a compound a bit too. 2003 was all trad and will probably always be unless I find myself wounding/missing more than I should.

Archery is tough for me, I am not a natural. I can place in the top 10% when going to archery shoots, but still don't shoot very good IMO. Range is the key - closer the better. No 40-60 yard shots for me like compounders take (shots I can make with a compound anyway). I shoot 3-7 days a week in my backyard. Practice all year because I love shooting, I love the dicipline of shooting and trying to perfect my style.

Of course, theres always the thrill of shooting new bows !
Old 05-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My custom bow will be center shot and offset to allow a "launcher type" rest if I choose not to shoot off the widow face, It is being tapped for a stabilizer, sights, quiver holder, and pressure button.
Why all the "training wheels" for the trad bow?

You had that one coming!

That is one sweet looking bow and not a bad price.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:25 PM

BOWFANATIC:

Yes, I did. I better be able to eat what I serve to others. A little "Gucci" on the trad.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Keep us updated. I'm in the market for a recurve. I'm bored with the compound after 20 years.

Quick Reply: Leaving it all behind and hanging up the bow for good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.