Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To gut or not to gut? >

To gut or not to gut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To gut or not to gut?

Old 05-03-2004, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: To gut or not to gut?

Regardless of his butchering skills, wasting the entire front half of the deer is ridiculous. If he is that good then another few minutes to do the neck and front shoulder should be nothing.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of his butchering skills, wasting the entire front half of the deer is ridiculous. If he is that good then another few minutes to do the neck and front shoulder should be nothing.
I'm not sure who you are referring to, but the guy that I am referring to, guts while they are hanging and skins the entire animal and cuts up the animal and will have the gut buckets loaded and the shed cleaned up in 15 minutes.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

How long it takes to take care of an animal can vary from hunter to hunter, afterall it's not a competition, just a task at hand. That being said, We haven't gutted a deer or elk in nearly 10 years. I'd rather leave the mess in the woods if possible. Most game we harvest here in Idaho isn't near roads, most have to be packed out on your back, or the use of stock.
Like many I've done it both ways and it's never affected the taste or tenderness of the meat, gutted or not!! Not gutting is much quicker easier and cleaner than gutting, too it's not a problem at all to secure the tenderloins with this method, you just have to know where to look. I also enjoy the heart as well, I remove that without gutting as well! The removal of neck meat and rib meat is easily done with this process.
I think what happens most the time is hunters aren't prepared to handle game this way, in order to care for it properly you should have game bags with you when you hunt. Once meat is removed, in the bags the meat goes for easy transportation, whether you have to leave it to get help or packframes. Always be prepared, the gutless method is quicker and cleaner than gutting in compared to the old way, regardless of speed! elknut1

With this method I do not bone out the animal. I remove all 4 quarters, then the backstrap, then tenderloins, then heart and misceleaneous. Both hindquarters get their own bags, both fronts the same as well as backstraps and tenderloins and misc. divided into front shoulder bags. All bags are fairly equeal in wt.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

WASHINGTON HUNTER: The link below shows you about where the tenderloins are located. Some people refer to them as the inner lois etc. The diagram shows them as tenderloins and the backstraps as loins. Many people refer to the loins as tenderloins. You can retreve them without gutting a deer after removing the loins and boning out the hind quarters buy simply reaching in and depressing the intestines and pulling the tenderloins free. You'll loose some if you don't work it loose with your fingers. I prefer to gut immediately and bone at home. Of course I hang a few days if weather permits. When the picture comes up for the link click on the expand button at the bottom to get a better view.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/images/...rtopti36kb.jpg
Old 05-03-2004, 08:17 AM

I gut my deer where they fall. The meat cools quicker and therefore taste better and is less likely to spoil. Further, no meat is left behind or thrown away. It is illegal in WI to waste game or fish and very well should be..( Plus it leaves food for the the other critters to feast on. )

I never understood how or why guys drag deer home or elsewhere with the guts in them then gut them out while hanging up. I can see it is not messy but either is gutting them in the field if you do it correctly. That, draggin home with the gut in, seems more of a southern thing than a northern practice. The deer here are heavy enough to drag even in the snow without the guts, leaving them in would make it that much more difficult.
Different stroke for different folks I guess.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

You guys should stop and think sometimes before posting.
I did think about it......that's why I posted what I did.

I'll bet you everything that I own that he can clean one (and do as good a job as anyone here) and have the skinning shed cleaned up in 15 minutes.
I'll take that bet.......there is no way. Absolutely impossible. The clean up and skinning alone would take 15 minutes and that's if he was lightning fast. No way you can debone an entire deer that quick and do a good job.......no way.

Our local shop has a team of about 5-6 guys working together that do more deer then I can count and my fathers long time friend has killed and butchered since he was a child and neither one can do a deer in less then 1/2 hour..........that is without grinding also.

Besides the fact that this guy is saying this is done in the field and they are wasting half the deer. Any moron with a sharp knife can hack meat off the hind legs and rip the backstraps out............but if your telling me that you can shoot a deer, skin it and cleanly debone the back legs and backstraps while still in the field and get back to the truck in 15 minutes I'd like to see it.

In addition to a total crock of BS.......it is a disgusting waste of the best meat out there.

I don't doubt your cousin is fast Silent..........there are plenty of people faster then me at processing a deer. I am not in a race when I do it and I put some extra care into it.

Just because you can't clean one that quick doesn't mean other people can't!
Yes it does.............because I have done enough to know that kind of time frame is just not realistic.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

silent
No, not refering to you, but fieldmouse's post where this is stated

I like many people quit messing with the shoulders. Shoulders and necks have too many tendons for the meat you get out of them. If you want more meat just shoot another deer.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atlasman,

All that I can do is laugh. Because if you were close enough I would invite you to put your money where your mouth is. But you and I both know you wouldn't accept the challenge so there's no point arguing. Besides if somone else is watching they may have trouble determining who the fool is[:-]
Old 05-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

If possible (weather and location permitting) i like to gut my deer, and let it hang for 2-3 days before butchering. When I first hang the deer I remove the windpipe, wash the cavity thououghly and remove bits of fat or excess tissue, and spread the cavity to promote cooling and aging. If the weather is too warm we skin and quarter the deer and hang it in a cooler for a couple days.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

LIKE I STATED: Hind qtrs deboned while the deer is hanging and back straps out. Not butchered. This guy knows what he doing. It's a perfect job. I am not that quick but I don't harvest as many deer as he does. He feeds his family all year long on deer meat.

As far as shoulders there's not much meat but there is a lot of tendons and crap. If it was a bigger deer like an older Doe or buck yes the shoulder do offer some meat and I will harvest it from time to time. I prefer not to shoot them I will shoot bambi first everytime. For them, not worth the effort. Feed the critters. If you want more meat shoot another deer.

If the main reason you hunt deer is for the meat and you don't fill all of your available tags, find another place to hunt. There are countless areas were the deer are out of control and you should have no problem filling your tags (even areas where they allow 45 deer/season).

For those of you who have quote "more respect for your kill", do you eat the mice out of you mouse traps or just discard them? Do they taste like chicken?

In over populated deer areas, they are better known as pest and disease threats. That is probably why people beg me to come and kill the deer.

North Carolina you can tag a deer before you get out of your tree stand. It's call 1-800-I got one. You call and get your tag number over the phone and write it on your license. All states should do this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.