Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To gut or not to gut? >

To gut or not to gut?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To gut or not to gut?

Old 05-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default To gut or not to gut?

I have been considering skipping the gutting process. I have a few friends who now don't gut their deer. They shoot it, call it in and procees it right away. One of my friends can have the hind quarters de-boned, back straps out and carcus back in the pick up for disposal with in 15 mins. I know I'm not that fast but it sure seems easier.

Anyone else out there not gutting deer?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:07 AM

Default RE: To gut or not to gut?

The only problem I see with not gutting you're deer is that you can't get to the tender loins, which is inside the rib cage. In my oppinion, this is the best cut of meat in the whole deer.However on a small deer I don't allways take the time to skin it out.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gut them quickly , they cool faster and you get better venison. This is why some dont care for "deer meat" , because someone did'nt feild dress it correctly . Down hear in Florida , you better be fast , season opens Augest , and it will probably be around 90 degrees . Evan if it was 40 degrees , Id gut um quick .
Old 05-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with ijimmy.............i know a couple of guys that do it, and it does look cleaner, but you want to get them guts out and cool it down as soon as possible....and no tenderloins, no way, they are coming out
Old 05-02-2004, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

One of my friends can have the hind quarters de-boned, back straps out and carcus back in the pick up for disposal with in 15 mins.

If it really only takes him 15 minutes he is doing a serious hack job.............is that all he takes is the hind quarters and backstraps?? God I hope not.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking the same thing atlas
Old 05-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

No not at all on the hack job. I'm talking the hind qtr de-boned and in one piece ready to be stuffed with sausage and tied shut. Back loins are smooth cuts. I'd put him up against any butcher. I do try, but I'm not that clean.

I like many people quit messing with the shoulders. Shoulders and necks have too many tendons for the meat you get out of them. If you want more meat just shoot another deer. Now, I have been known to take a rib or two on a decent size buck.

I agree if you have to go far from woods to garage but if you can do it in under 30 mins, do you loose that much time?
Old 05-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

wouldnt you want all the meat you can get, isnt that one of the reasons we harvest these animals.....no disrespect, but that just seems wrong not taking all the meat.....what's a lil more work.... you can make burgar out of it, stew meat, etc.....
Old 05-02-2004, 07:05 PM

I like many people quit messing with the shoulders. Shoulders and necks have too many tendons for the meat you get out of them. If you want more meat just shoot another deer. Now, I have been known to take a rib or two on a decent size buck.
???? Using hind quarters only? I was not aware that a few let alone many were now doing this.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:48 PM

Throwing away over half the deer...what's up with that? I try to respect the animal of the life I took by utilizing as much of the meat that's available. The neck goes to a roast, the hind quarters are steaked, and everything else is stripped off the bone and goes into the grinder. Then all that delicious venison burger is utilized into making jerky, brats, slim jims, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.