Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are you good with a compound and no release? >

Are you good with a compound and no release?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you good with a compound and no release?

Old 02-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are you good with a compound and no release?

There aren't enough bows on the market today that are really fingers-compatible. Even some of the 'longer'[>:] versions would force most peope with a normal draw length to use a 2-finger release. With my 33.5" draw, when I get around 42" axle to axle I'm forced to use 2 fingers. Less than 40" and I'm better off with the release.

You oughta see the look on a guy's face when I lay my arrow down alongside the cams on his bow and have arrow hanging over both ends of his limbs. [8D]
Old 02-28-2004, 11:15 AM

I think dangerous would be the proper term for me.

lol at rack-attack!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes you just can't buy an item off the self and expect it to be custom fit. I am a left handed shooter and have a left index finger that is totally dead and deformed and maybe no bigger than a pencil, so what I did was I found a glove that felt great on my other two fingers and then I would use additional pieces of leather ( small thickness) and use contact cement to glue the inside my glove finger until there was no slippage around my finger, its a custom fit as I do it myself, but who the heck knows what I want other than me? Bobby
Old 03-01-2004, 08:30 AM

When I shot with fingers yes I was "good" now I use a release and would never take a shot at an animal unless I have my release. A good clean kill is the only ethical thing to do in my book and if that monster buck comes by & I can't find my release I will pass on the shot. Better to wait for another chance than to wound that animal & loose it and regret the decission for the rest of your life. Sorry but I feel we all have a certain responsability to the animal we are hunting to make the best shot we can.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, both of my only two "Robin Hoods" were with fingers on a compound..... I do not think I could do that again now if I tried.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ah, come on now, Frank! I've gotten 5 robinhoods with my longbow - out to 45 yards! Another 4 with a recurve and 5 more with the compound. Only two of them were WITH a release. They make for excellent den ambience and decor.[&:]
Old 03-01-2004, 02:24 PM

I can hold my own with no release, but definately prefer a release.