Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are you good with a compound and no release? >

Are you good with a compound and no release?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you good with a compound and no release?

I was a decent finger shooter back in the day. I went to a release for hunting and probably wont go back. I think everyone, if given a chance should start out shooting fingers when they 1st go to archery.
I still shoot fingers, just messing around with the recurve in the yard.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

No-lol-
Old 02-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot exclusively fingers for 24 years. The last 10 years of which have been with a compound.
In that time I've developed a very smooth finger release. It takes more practice, but I wouldn't switch to a mech release aid unless I planned on competing somewhere other than locally. I've tried it on a friend's bow, and even set up another friend's bow for shooting with one, but I'll take fingers everytime.

I'll never argue that you can't get more precise groups and life-saver-busting accuracy from a mech release, but they're not for me. I love 'feeling' the release of the string. It also doesn't hurt that I can get shots off quicker because I just draw and shoot. I don't have to hook up the release to the string, and then after I'm at full draw, shift my grip to a firing position. I also like having both hands free if I need them. Once you're hooked up to the bow, you're handcuffed, and the fastest way to move your hands is to drop the bow and risk damaging it or cutting yourself on a broadhead.

Not to mention there is just one more peice of equipment to fall victim to Murphy's law. I'd eventually either leave it in the truck, it would fail or freeze at a critical time, or it would misfire on me and scare away the best deer of the season.

If you set up your bow for finger shooting like ARTHUR P suggests above, assuming your bow has enough length between axles for finger shooting, and practice with it, you just might come to like it better for hunting. Give it a chance. Get the proper setup and spend some time with it.

TIP:
Since finger shooting all but requires a flipper rest, you may want to consider feathers instead of vanes. I know not many people are in favor of doing anything that sacrifices FPS, but I feel that with a finger setup, it's easier to solve rest-clearence problems with feathers, and your setup will gain forgiveness when you execute a less than perfect release, which WILL happen. You'll still mess it up once in a while, no matter how long you've been shooting.

ANOTHER TIP:
When paper tuning with it, you'll want to shoot several arrows between adjustments. This is to make sure that the flight error you're seeing on the paper is really from the equipment, not you. If you're not getting exactly the same tear every time, you're not ready to paper tune yet. You can make some gross adjustments, but spend some more time practicing your shooting form and developing a smooth, consistent finger release before attempting any fine tweeking. Otherwise, you can drive yourself nuts chasing ghosts.

Sorry about writing a book -I don't see topics like this to often and I wanted to toss in my 2 cents..

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2004, 12:22 PM

I sure as heck am.............................

Good for one into the barn, another into the woods, then one over to my neighbors
Old 02-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never tried it without an release but no harm on trying, just need the arrows first
Old 02-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you think us old guys used before there were release aids? It was called fingers, with glove or tab. One of the major differences shooting fingers is that the bow must be set up with a rest that gives side support to counteract archer's paradox. Maybe that's one reason you THINK you shot so poorly.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:37 AM

I am not a professional but have been shooting compounds with fingers for 25 years and can shoot just as consistent as any release shooter. I believe that there are 3 keys to shooting good with fingers. 1 – Use a thin soft leather glove. Most three finger gloves are thick leather and do not allow the proper feel for a smooth release. I use military nomex flight gloves, available at the online auction place or any surplus store. 2 – The release technique is very simple; just relax your fingers with out moving any other part of your hand or arm. 3 – Don’t give up. Hope this info helps. FingerTom
Old 02-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I practice in the off season without my release. I can hit decent without it and am confident enough that if I HAD to do it I could, but it's not my preferred method.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:49 PM

I am not a anti – release person and I do not discourage people not to use them, however I do remind people that a release aide is simply that, an aide. If I was a competitive target shooter I would surely use one. I just believe that they are not needed for hunting.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:26 PM

I don't use a release for my compound. Thought about it, but I'm sure I'd forget it or drop it when I needed it.

I used to have a tough time finding small enough gloves. So I would just wrap some tape around my fingers when I would target practice. It worked slick.

Now I'm a wimp and use a glove for my compound and a tab for my stickbows.

Quick Reply: Are you good with a compound and no release?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.