Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are you good with a compound and no release? >

Are you good with a compound and no release?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you good with a compound and no release?

Old 02-24-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Are you good with a compound and no release?

Are any of you guys and gals a good shot when not using a release with your compound bow? On a few occassions, I saw a shooter before I could get my release on. So, tonight I decided to try shooting the target without a release just to get some practice. ....man I suck without the release!

Darren
Old 02-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you good with a compound and no release?

I guess it depends on your definition of good. I shot that way for over 10 years, at times during that period, I could shoot baseball size groups at 40 yards. I shoot better and more consistent with a release but I never had a particularly good release.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:30 PM

used to shoot without a release all the time and did pretty good, but now that I have been shooting with one for about 10 years I can't shoot without it. A couple of times when I have forgotten my release in the truck when I went to sit in the stand, I would just get up and leave again right away because I can't shoot without it.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:34 PM

i started off with a release a year ago but i cant shoot good with em
i shoot alot more accurate withour a release but that could eb the relase im using
Old 02-24-2004, 07:50 PM

Besides practicing left-handed and right-handed release shooting, I sometimes practice with fingers on my compound. Since it has 80% let-off, I pull with 3 fingers and drop 2 fingers. The one finger hold can be done easily with the higher let-off, and the one finger release lets me shoot better. With one finger under, I usually hold very well 3-4'' off to one side and 4-5" high. Knowing the point of impact allows for adjustment should I have to shoot this way while hunting. I wouldn't attempt it unless I periodically practiced.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't practice that enough to trust myself especially with the short ATA bows I shoot these days.......That release goes on at the truck everytime (Unless it's pre dawn) I don't need any uneccessary stress.[]
I would feel more comfortable shooting without my SIGHTS vs. without my release.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

I've always been a finger shooter. I cut off the tip of my finger one year and had to use a release that year. Yes my groups got alittle tighter but I prefer shooting fingers for hunting. Not enough difference for hunting. Maybe there would be for a competition shoot. I will always shoot fingers. But bow selection is more limited in todays modern bow not that many made with a axle to axle in the 40 inch range.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I been bowhunting since 69' and have always shot fingers. Some folks may get better groups with a release but something being mechanical like a release can go off at any time, that was my problem when I gave one a try one time, I shoot left handed also and have a dead left index finger from that of a cottonmouth bite but still use it as a anchor point. Fingers are just more difficult when your shooting a short compound. I'm just an ole die hard and will stick to fingers as I'm into bowhunting more than archery, if your into archery than a release will give you tighter groups, but from a bow hunting point of view, I personaly chose the fingers. Bobby
Old 02-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do I shoot good with fingers? Just ask the guys that I shoot with.... the ones always standing at the concession table buying cold drinks whilst I sit in the shade.

You cannot shoot a bow well with fingers when it's set up for release shooting. You must have the proper rest, and adjust centershot to have the tip of the arrow slightly outside the string instead of being in direct aligment with the string.

With releases, arrow paradox is vertical and is cushioned by the prongs of the rest. With fingers, it's horizontal. You have to have a side pressure plate for the arrow to paradox against. A lot of the time, you'll need to jump up one spine class for shooting fingers vs a release.

So, shooting an improper setup with possibly underspined arrows and not having practiced shooting fingers... How could your shooting could NOT suck?

Go down to the bow shop and spend about $15 on an NAP Centerest flipper and stick that on the bow, spend $7 on a tab, check the charts to find out whether your arrows will work for fingers, and give it another go.

If you don't want to mess with your primary bow - and that's definitely understandable - then set up your backup bow for trying fingers shootin'.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've retired my tabs, burger button and flipper rest. I suppose if I ever break them out again, I could probably do okay on my 20+ year old Browning. Don't think I'll ever try on my BowTech.

Quick Reply: Are you good with a compound and no release?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.