Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mobile tree platform vs fixed tree stand >

Mobile tree platform vs fixed tree stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mobile tree platform vs fixed tree stand

Old 01-31-2022, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow Oldtimr that's cheating! LOL I know what you mean about getting old though. When my alarm goes off at 4;30 or 5:00 I lay there for a couple mins deciding if I really want to get up and face the cold or just stay there nice and cozy under the covers! 5 years ago it was about 80 - 20 in favor of gong out. These days it might be closer to 50-50. Most of the time my decision is based on "Alexa" when I ask her what the temperature is! And rain - ain't a chance of going out. I killed enough deer and just enjoy being out there enjoying God's creation and being comfortable doing it. ( But I can honestly say when I do force myself to go out on those frigid mornings - I'm glad I did)
One of the coolest things I'll never forget was on a very frosty morning during archery season a few years ago. It was 28* and I was up in my treestand when this 8 pointer came trotting in I guess looking for a hot doe. He stopped at 20 yards facing me and had vapor coming out his nose on an angle. Reminded me of a fire breathing dragon in the movies. He turned and walked past my stand giving me a perfect broadside shot. After the hit he only ran 35-40 yards and fell over.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Wow Oldtimr that's cheating! LOL I know what you mean about getting old though. When my alarm goes off at 4;30 or 5:00 I lay there for a couple mins deciding if I really want to get up and face the cold or just stay there nice and cozy under the covers! 5 years ago it was about 80 - 20 in favor of gong out. These days it might be closer to 50-50. Most of the time my decision is based on "Alexa" when I ask her what the temperature is! And rain - ain't a chance of going out. I killed enough deer and just enjoy being out there enjoying God's creation and being comfortable doing it. ( But I can honestly say when I do force myself to go out on those frigid mornings - I'm glad I did)
One of the coolest things I'll never forget was on a very frosty morning during archery season a few years ago. It was 28* and I was up in my treestand when 8 pointer came trotting in I guess looking for a hot doe. He stopped at 20 yards facing me and had vapor coming out his nose on an angle. Reminded me of a fire breathing dragon in the movies. He turned and walked past my stand giving me a perfect broadside shot. After the hit he only ran 35-40 yards and fell over.
, Yeah, I know what you mean, My alarm is set for 4:00 and for the first couple of days of the season I jump out of bead and get dressed, go downstairs and turn on the coffee pot, get my gear ready to be loaded, have a cup of coffee, load the truck and head out at 5. Then about 4 days into the season I lay there after the alarm goes off and think about it a while before I crawl out of bed. News flash, the older you get, the longer you will probably lay in bed and think about it.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:57 PM
Spike

You might check this mounting bracket / hanging / adjusting / leveling system, it's called The Tree Hugger Bracket. I bought one to try at the Iowa Deer Classic last weekend. They said Friday was their first debut, I couldn't resist buying one to see for myself, their display was very convincing. You can check them out at: treehuggerbracket.com
Old 05-08-2022, 04:58 AM
Spike

I started a "permanent" tree stand program last summer. The goal is to build 6 stands on our property using the "hub and spoke" theory. The stands are the hubs and I used a chainsaw to cut shooting lanes as the spokes. All the stands are built with good lumber and 3 inch lag bolts. This summer I plan on building stands 3 and 4. Because we built stands 1 and 2 last summer....all we need to do is trim up the shooting lanes and stands 1 and 2 will be good to go.
As others have mentioned, permanent stands keep me quieter going in and out of the woods and the animals get acclimated! I also have a 12 year old son and comfort is a big deal in keeping him engaged.

Last edited by GreatWapiti; 05-10-2022 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 05-30-2022, 10:10 AM
Spike

Default Permanent Stand

https://postimg.cc/75NpKRBp
Old 05-30-2022, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by GreatWapiti
I started a "permanent" tree stand program last summer. The goal is to build 6 stands on our property using the "hub and spoke" theory. The stands are the hubs and I used a chainsaw to cut shooting lanes as the spokes. All the stands are built with good lumber and 3 inch lag bolts. This summer I plan on building stands 3 and 4. Because we built stands 1 and 2 last summer....all we need to do is trim up the shooting lanes and stands 1 and 2 will be good to go.
As others have mentioned, permanent stands keep me quieter going in and out of the woods and the animals get acclimated! I also have a 12 year old son and comfort is a big deal in keeping him engaged.
Before I had the tower stand I had two permanent stands fastened to three or four trees and I used heavt lag bolts, Because the trees sway with the wind after the 2nd year I had to replace the lag bolts with longer ones because they were getting loose and pulling out, When I got to 6 inch bolts I decided to get a tower stand. This is one of them. It was very producting but I just got tired of the constant maintance.

capital one bank in florida

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-30-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:21 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Both Stands have their own Pros and Cons

Originally Posted by ma archer
Me and a friend of mine were having a debate. He swears by fixed tree stands as the best platform for deer hunting. I prefer my tree saddle because of its mobility and basically, i can go up any tree I want.

His point was that the biggest negative of my saddle was that it takes some time to set up and some noise. It takes me 20 minutes to set up and I guess makes some noise but not that much.

I never saw this as a huge negative, partially because you're always going to cause a disturbance coming in anyway. does anyone think he is right? We hunt in new England which is very thick anyway.
Both Ladder Tree Stands (Fixed) and Climbing Tree Stands (Mobile) have their own Pros & Cons. One can't say that Ladder Tree Stands are better than Climbing Tree Stands and vice versa.
If a climbing tree stand takes you 20 mins to set up, it also makes you go much higher on the tree as compared to a fixed tree stand. You can read more about the difference between the two stands and their benefits and drawbacks on this website https://thehuntingdude.com/ladder-st...ng-tree-stand/
Old 02-10-2023, 04:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by alex_sebh
A saddle definitely takes a little time to setup, but the benefits - mobility and versatility - far outweigh the benefits of a fixed tree stand.
That would all depend on where you hunt . I used to move around and hunt different spots that had deer use sign. Then I was luck enough to get access to 100 acres of private land which I scouted hard and found where the heavily used trails were and picked a spot that had several heavily used trails and and a pinch point and that spot was not near any of the other three hunters on the property so I build a permanant elevated stand and never looked back. I was much more comsistantly successful that I ever was hopping from spot to spot. Eventually as I got older I bought an enclosed elevated stand that allows me to keep much of my gear in it such as a heater and swivel chair etc about 50 yards from my open stand wich I knocked down. If you only have public ground to hunt, mobility is probably the best bet but if you can gain access to a good piece of private ground and lean it well, it is not necessary to be mobile. I kill more deer where I hunt now being stationary than I ever did being mobile and I am a heck of a lot more comfortable as well. In addittion, you will find that the older you get the more comfort will mean to you.