Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need help with stand location >

need help with stand location

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need help with stand location

Old 10-22-2003, 07:25 PM

Default need help with stand location

hi guys, first off i know i dont post that often but here is my situation i have. just tonight i got permission to hunt about 250 to 300 acres by my house. at the far south end is a cut corn field that runs north then it comes to woods and is mostly one big ridge running east and west and then it drops down into a big creek bottom that is all timber. my question is would you guys stay up in the high ground or go back into the creek bottom?? thanks for any advice.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: need help with stand location

I like to hunt high in the AM , as the sun breaks and the ground warms thermals rise, carrying any scent up, Bucks will cruise ridges in hopes of catching scent of a doe thats getting ready, as the evening comes, go low, down in the bottoms, thermals fall as temps fall. Best advice I have not seeing a pic of the location, was the cornfield stripped of all corn or just knocked down? that could change everything.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:35 PM

thanks for the advice so far. the corn field has been strpped of the corn. the lady that owns it says they saw 20 deer in there the other night and i was out there tonight and saw 2. thanks again
Old 10-23-2003, 08:42 AM

I' d hunt high in the AM and slip down around the edge of corn in the PM. Look for some staging areas inside the woods. Hard to give a lot more info without knowing more.

Additionally, I' d spend some time mid-day scouting that river bottom. If there is a lot of pressure in the area the big boys will often go deep into the nastiest area they can find.

Good luck... sounds like you got a great place to hunt this year.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:03 PM

what everyone else is telling you sounds good, but i would try the opposit. If you try to sneek in on the ridge top in the mourning there might be some bedded deer on the ridge. Also if the rut is on then the creek bottum would be my choice mourning and eavning.In the mourning all of the deer are going to hit the creek for watter . the bucks will be thiersty from chaseing and the does will from eating. the old saying is fallow the does and you' ll find the bucks. if you find that your spooking deer in the mourning try down by the creek. good luck