Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sitting still

Old 10-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sitting still

Even though I' m a seasoned veteran at hunting .. . and I know better . . . I have a hard time sitting still in my stand. To make matters worse, most of my stands are at interscetions of multiple deer trails and I probably look like I' m at a tennis match while I sit there watching the trails from all directions. I look behind my tree a fair amount of the time since I' ve learned the hard way that deer don' t always come in the way you like . . . or expect.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sitting still

Believe it or not n they are making a mirror you can hang from the tree so you can see behind you without moving. Just seen it on TV the other day. What will they think of next???
Old 10-04-2003, 05:25 PM

Funny you should say that Cardeer. I have a little wide angle mirror clipped to my Outhouse Blind. Have experimented with them for a couple of years. Even thought of one of those little mirrors like mechanics use with a telescoping rod for use on the stand. feel the attached deer rear view mirrors would be better.

PS I replied to your email but no answer. Did you receive it? get emails returned with invalid address.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:29 PM

Funny,

My cousin used to walk around the woods with a little mirror on a bracket off the side of his glasses.

He looked like a idiot, but man you sure couldn' t sneek up on him

Old 10-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve seen the mirror' s advertized from time to time in magazines and thought, " what a joke!" After all the trouble I go to remove any hint of glare, I' m going to put up a MIRROR!? [8D][8D]
Old 10-05-2003, 09:24 AM

Not sure if it' s applicable, but I' ll usually take a paperback book up with me...significantly less figity in the stand. Read a little, look a little, etc.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:20 PM

I also have the same problem as you, having to watch several directions. I just try to move as slowly as possible.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:29 AM
Fork Horn

Like rhett02, I take a book up with me. It keeps the constant swivel head movment to a minimum. I think it also helps me to stay on stand a bit longer when the action is slow.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

DaveH I agree with you about the mirror and the glare, heck I hate wearing my glasses because of that, I can shoot without them so most of the time when I see a deer in the distance I take them off and deal with the blur up close, I am far sighted, not real bad, but bad enough. In regards to staying still, I use very slow movements when scanning, I also use as much cover as possible to conceal as much movement as possible.