Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sitting all day

Old 11-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Sitting all day

This is my second year hunting and I've heard of people sitting in their stand all day. I would like to sit all daya couple times this seasonb/c I've haven't really seen much rut activity. What are some aspects that I should think about when sitting all day? Does anyone have any suggestions or stories when sitting all day? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sitting all day

I like to sit near a place where a hardwood ridge and softwood comes together that has deer traveling through it. Find a scrape near the side of the ridge to watch. Also make a small scrape near it with a little doe p in it. The first day (unless the buck is nearby ) is not as good but the next morning beware of your surroundings because things can happen then rather quickly if you rescent it.Good Luck to you..
Old 11-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

get a comfortable seat.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:50 PM

i sit allday every weekend. bring trail mix, cookies, etc lol. na but i bring a bit of food thats high energy and light weight and small, few bottles of water with some instant cool aid packs, and definetly a confy seat i hunt from a cliber stand so i have the seat that came with it plus a spare cause ru but does get numb. i also take naps and dose on and off and justw ake for sounds. other than that ur good, and youll have much better luck, and learn the woods MUCH faster than a 2hour hunt.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to go #2 in the morning before heading out!
I also like to have a stand that is comfortable and that you can sit back somewhat, so you can take a catnap. I wear a good fall restraint and adjust it so that it is taught when sitting down, so falling is impossible. I find that a brief nap is necessary for an all day hunt.
Not telling you to do that, for obvious reasons. It's just what I do.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:58 PM

i dont wear a fall restraint.. ut oh lol. but i also dotn go more than 15 feet. not saying u cant get hurt just i seen mor eof my buddys fall without them and be just a little bangd up, then have them on and hang till it choked them or they were unconceious.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: KalmKidd

i dont wear a fall restraint.. ut oh lol. but i also dotn go more than 15 feet. not saying u cant get hurt just i seen mor eof my buddys fall without them and be just a little bangd up, then have them on and hang till it choked them or they were unconceious.
I have to disagree with your logic there bud. There isn't much reason not to wear a fall restraint in my opinion. It's like saying, "I won't wear a seat belt because I've seen so many people get their collar bones broken in a car accident." Yes in some cases you can get hurt worse with a seat belt on than not. BUT...The majority of the cases you are definitely better off wearing the belt. I believe the same logic can be applied to the fall restraint system.

You will do what you want, but be careful doing it. I'd recommend getting a 4 point harness and just not wrapping it around your neck while sitting on stand. Good luck. [&:]
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: KalmKidd

KalmKidd, poor excuse for not wearing fall protection. A fall from much lower heights can cause serious injury (paralysis, death) or if you get luckyjust a loss of the rest of your hunting season. As far as being left hanging, always carry on your person a couple screw in tree steps to help remount your stand should you fall below it.

Somthing to think about.

Paul
Old 11-05-2007, 05:29 PM

oh beleive me i use to wear one but i have this fear of hanging that id rather fall than hang.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sitting all day is the ONLY way to hunt the rut as far I'm concerned. A harness is aMUST because of the possibility of nodding off! I saw the biggest buck of my life last year at 12:00PM! So it does pay to sit all day.
If you come out of the woods at 11:00AM, and go back in at 2:00PM each day of a 6 day hunt,you're loosing 18hrs of hunting time.That's almost 2 full days worth of hunting the most productive time of the year, the rut! This is the way I see it, anyway.

Quick Reply: Sitting all day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.