Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When sitting, how often should I look around? >

When sitting, how often should I look around?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When sitting, how often should I look around?

Old 10-30-2002, 10:40 AM

Default When sitting, how often should I look around?

When sitting waiting for deer to cross your path, while trying to sit perfectly still, how often should you look around to check for incoming deer? Or should you just depend on waiting until you hear something?

Always wondered!

Trouserchili
Old 10-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When sitting, how often should I look around?

Constantly be looking around. It doesn't take much movement to move your head, and the sooner and further away from you that you can spot the deer, the better off you will be to be in postion when the shot opportunity arises. Good Luck! And keep your eyes peeled!!!
Old 10-30-2002, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good points by Howler..Also move your eyes more than your head, Look for motion and look "through" the woods as you "study" a particular section. Remember that most folks are suprised at how small in height a deer really is, so look closer to the ground.

Old 10-30-2002, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on how crunchy it is. For instance, if it is windy, or the leaves are wet, you should scan quite a bit, moving your head as slow and little as possible. If it is calm conditions and dry leaves, you might want to focus where you can see a good distance, since you should be able to HEAR anything closeby.

Two years ago, there was frost on the ground (ie., crunchy). However, the frost melted after a few hours on stand. My buddy radioed me on his walkie talkie to tell me he had deer close that he never heard because the melted frost wetted the leaves and made them silent. I then immediately looked over my left shoulder scanning an area I thought I'd hear deer in, and saw a buck grazing about 60 yards away.

The key is to gauge how well you'd be able to hear deer, and scan accordingly. Be sure to look for horizontal shapes in the woods, and scan slow enough that you'll see a deer even if it is motionless for a few seconds or so.

Edited by - DougMd on 10/30/2002 12:18:15
Old 10-30-2002, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Just as Howler said. The only thing I could add would be that it also depends on how high you are or how well you are covered. I have had some tree stands that were in a very inconspicuous place that I could have danced on and never been noticed. I have also had blinds that were flanked by hills, I could hardly move in these blinds.
But for the most part keep your eyes open, because like Howler said ,the further away you notice them the better.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:03 PM

I would agree with everyone. You want to move as little as possible, but you also want to see the deer before they see you. I found that if you do see a deer still keep looking around. There is usally another one that you might not notice.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent points given, I agree. I hunt on pins and needles, I really never settle down or just stare. (I don't move lots, just be really attentive and scan) I look for lines or shades in bush, often indicating deer approaching. Obvioulsy listen, but not to hard, I have noticed we tend to think it is coming from hear, but then it appears over their. Main reason we listen to the last area of noise, but they might move undetected.

Old 10-31-2002, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't ever stop looking. They can move right on you and not make much noise sometimes.

Old 11-01-2002, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

chris you must scan continuosly, I slowly move my head a little bit, scan with my eyes and then move my head a bit more and scan again. I have had numerous deer just "magically" appear out of thin air right where I had looked just 1 minute prior and never heard a thing. Slow and methodical is the key.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Quick Reply: When sitting, how often should I look around?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.