Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help me pick my next camo >

Help me pick my next camo

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me pick my next camo

Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 AM
Spike

Default Help me pick my next camo

Hey everyone...I am now looking for new camo to replace my crappy coveralls...not even sure what brand they are but they are low level.
I hunt all season in new york from early oct. through early january. Id say weather can range from low teens fahrenheit to 50's...average for my seasons would be 25-40F.

Here is what I am looking for:
1) QUIET as I bow hunt as well as rifle so I will be close to the deer for half my hunting.
2) Water resistant and wind proof...DOES NOT need to be water proof as I rarely, if ever, go out in rain and when it does rain...I simply walk home. I hunt on my in-laws land.
3) Layering. I think I am more looking for a good outside shell Jacket and bibs/pants than a full blown cold weather suit. Since I hunt multiple seasons I would most likely layer up. I have good quality layers for underneith but need a good quality jacket and bibs/pants. However...if I HAD to choose I would go with the shells retaining heat better than staying cool as I do have some hunting camo for really warm weather days say 50+ degrees fahrenheit.
4.) cost...of course I want cheap price...who doesnt BUT that doesnt mean I wont spend money. I would like to keep total for jacket and bibs/pants below 400 dollars.
5.) Strength of material is last because I mainly hunt from stands and rarely walk through thick stuff that can ruin the jacket or pants. I dont really buy into scent lok stuff...I wash my cloths with hunting detergents and they are stored with fresh tree limbs, grass, etc to help with scent control and I also use scent sprays and such and have had lots of success but that doesnt mean I WONT buy them if they are good at everything I listed above. However, science is showing that deer can see UV light so I kind of buy into the whole UV pigments for camo(rather avoiding the UV pigments) so if there are known camo that use UV dyes...id probably stay away from them but again it's not HIGH on my list of priorities.

All Suggestions are welcome

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 07-24-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Spike

No suggestions from anyone?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I think your looking too deep into your camo. I've always picked mine up at Dicks or Bass Pro after the hunting season. I look take a look at what seems thick enough for the type of weather I'm in and make sure the pattern is somewhat of a match and that is it. I have thin camo for warmer weather and Bibs and a jacket for colder weather. I've never been too into looking into brands as long as its a reputable one. I have a lot of good camo but have never gone shopping for a specific brand or color pattern. I hunt hardwoods and the majority of camo out there matches it. Plus, deer and human eyes are a lot different. What looks good to you may be totally different looking for a deer. Good luck on your search.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by fastetti
Personally, I think your looking too deep into your camo. I've always picked mine up at Dicks or Bass Pro after the hunting season. I look take a look at what seems thick enough for the type of weather I'm in and make sure the pattern is somewhat of a match and that is it. I have thin camo for warmer weather and Bibs and a jacket for colder weather. I've never been too into looking into brands as long as its a reputable one. I have a lot of good camo but have never gone shopping for a specific brand or color pattern. I hunt hardwoods and the majority of camo out there matches it. Plus, deer and human eyes are a lot different. What looks good to you may be totally different looking for a deer. Good luck on your search.
Thank you for your input...I am not so concerned about color pattern. What I was really wondering was...with all the advances in hunting technology these days, is there a jacket and bibs that are quiet for bow hunting, wind stopping/wind proof, MAYBE water resistant but this isnt as important to me as I do have rain gear and I rarely go out in the rain...relatively thin for warmer days such as fall around 40-50 fahrenheit but with layering would be good down into the teens MAYBE single digits? The coveralls I use now worked...for the most part, but arent very good in warmer days and they are fading with a few good size holes in them from when I got caught in barb wire haha. BUT that being said...if this doesnt exist in hunting clothes yet...I would be at least looking for a WARM jacket and PANTS that are quiet as I have some warmer weather camo...albeit it is kind of crappy but works.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Save yourself some money by buying a good leaf suit for early bow with green dominant colors and one with fall dominant colors. Then spend your money you save on the warmest under clothing you can in natural light earthtone colors. Unless you have lots of money to spend and budget is not an issue then you can buy what ever you want. I like the Preditor patterns in the Grey Wolf Woolens but just don't have that kind of money to spen on camo. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by doetrain
Save yourself some money by buying a good leaf suit for early bow with green dominant colors and one with fall dominant colors. Then spend your money you save on the warmest under clothing you can in natural light earthtone colors. Unless you have lots of money to spend and budget is not an issue then you can buy what ever you want. I like the Preditor patterns in the Grey Wolf Woolens but just don't have that kind of money to spen on camo. Good luck.
I actually do have 400 to spend which looks like enough for the gray wolf stuff. Is that stuff warm for like 15 degrees F with layering? is it also TOO warm for say 40-50 degrees F?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bigeclipse
Thank you for your input...I am not so concerned about color pattern. What I was really wondering was...with all the advances in hunting technology these days, is there a jacket and bibs that are quiet for bow hunting, wind stopping/wind proof, MAYBE water resistant but this isnt as important to me as I do have rain gear and I rarely go out in the rain...relatively thin for warmer days such as fall around 40-50 fahrenheit but with layering would be good down into the teens MAYBE single digits? The coveralls I use now worked...for the most part, but arent very good in warmer days and they are fading with a few good size holes in them from when I got caught in barb wire haha. BUT that being said...if this doesnt exist in hunting clothes yet...I would be at least looking for a WARM jacket and PANTS that are quiet as I have some warmer weather camo...albeit it is kind of crappy but works.
If you can, get into one of the stores and try a few on. With the newer camo, most of it is pretty quiet. I use the Field and Stream stuff from Dicks and think its really good. Shot a buck this year at 2 yards and about 10 feet in the air and he never heard anything. Plus, I wear it down to about 15 degrees and stay warm as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Spike

Check out Sitka. Not cheap but great stuff
Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wool is as good as it gets when it's real cold but i would not wear it if it was 50 degrees or 40 for that matter. I'm very warm natured and would get to hot but below freezing or in damp windy conditions I would wear it if 40 then.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Spike

http://predatorcamo.com/

best camo on the market.