Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Early Bow Season Set Ups >

Early Bow Season Set Ups

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early Bow Season Set Ups

Old 07-12-2013, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Early Bow Season Set Ups

I hunt both farmland and deep woods areas in the early fall and would like to know something of the stradegy you more senior hunters employ in the early season. We have bean fields in most of my areas this year and I think getting on the edge of the fields is not working for me. Should I set up away from the fields in the woods where I think they travel through and if so how far back off the field edges? Also when in the deep woods where I often see so many well used travel corridors how do you go about deciding which ones to hunt? Do you use trail cams or bait before the season to draw them into a certain pattern of travel?

Last edited by doetrain; 07-12-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Spike

I'm not sure when your season starts but if its early enough that you can still catch the tail ends of summer feeding patterns the best thing you can do is get your spotting scope or binos and watch. Get somewhere where you can see the whole field, without affecting the deers main travel ways into the field, and observe what trails and when they're coming into the field. You can then use this info for stand placement because you'll know where the deer are coming into the field and where they're coming from to get there. Also you can then go home and look at your property on google maps and more often than not you'll be able to find a nearby bedding area and locate a nice deer highway between there and the food source. Plus even if the deer do break these patterns by seasons start it gives you a good inventory of the bucks in your area.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Spike

If the fields are not working because the deer come out too late hunt back in the woods 50 to 100 yards. They usually have a staging area where they wait until almost dark to come out. But you have to find this area and the trails they use to get there. Some great advice posted above also.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:06 AM
Spike

If you can bait with corn & use mineral blocks such as trophy rock. Take all the guess work out and bring them too you.http://www.buycrossbowsonline.com/home.html
Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting is not allowed in Indiana we must remove it 10 days before the season opens if feeding or using minerals before the season. I know people do it anyway but I strive not to break the rules and abide within the guidelines of the DNR. If we could do it I'm not sure I would but being able to grow food plots and hunt grain fields as I do in some of my hunting spots I guess it's really no different in the end. I had hoped to have a big food plot this year but have neither the time or money to invest in it. I tried the throw and grow product but it performed poorly due to the prolonged drought we had last year.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Spike

For the first 2 to 3 weeks the deer should be in there summer patterns - (Assuming its still pretty hot outside) I would be hunting there summer patterns' In my area this would be getting into stand around 3 hours before sunset... set up would be on a heavily used trail heading to the bean fields/corn fields etc. I use trail cams but if thats not an option look for more heavily used trails', funnels, pinch points, etc. Get about 25 yards off of that trail and jack up as high as you can. Be sure to be scent free while going in!

Just my 2 cents-

Dan
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

During early October I try to hunt about 50-100 off the fields when I can if I am looking for a buck. They will stage in the woods so if you can get a trail camera put up on one of the areas that looks well used try to do that. Also if you hunt in the woods don't set your stand up on the trail. Try to keep it off the trail 10-20 yards.

Definitly use Google earth or somthing like that to look at the area. There may be a pinch point or funnel that you are not aware of and this will help you figure those things out.